Friday, September 5, 2014

What does Back to School mean for you?


Alex Tsonas - Thanks for letting me use this picture. I really love it.

Writing a blog has been such an educational experience for me, a delving into myself really. I never thought I would be writing so publicly about feelings, my feelings. Many people who know me assume I would do something like this because I am an extrovert.... but I am also an introvert. Yes, I really am! I keep many, many emotions to myself and I really like alone time. I don't share everything even though it may seem I do! In fact, when I do share, I get a real pang of anxiety.

Who knew my blog about cooking would turn into this! Thank you for indulging me. I promise a great recipe is below.

Well, school has begun for everyone now in earnest. Back to school. Back to school. Those three words seem to invoke an influx of emotions for adults and children alike. The excitement of getting new supplies, clothing, and books. The smell of a new book - that never gets old. The process of getting organized. The feeling of starting anew, fresh. For our family it was buying what seemed like copious amounts of sneakers - indoor, outdoor, cleats, tennis, etc....

There is also a sense of anxiety and nervousness that starts for the school year too for kids. The first day of school pictures are a mix of excitement, sadness that school is starting and summer is over, trepidation that things won't go as well as you want them to go, etc....

Then, there are the adults. For working and non-working parents (I can speak from both perspectives now), there is something about summer that is more relaxing. Schedules die down, the grind slows and there are vacations to look forward to in those hotter months. Days are longer, the sun seems to shine a bit more and the heat warms the soul. The start of school means back to schedules, driving everywhere, making sure the kids have everything that need to be successful at the start of their new year. Change, change, change. Let's face it, change is hard. Change is good too, but change is hard.

For the past month or so I have been in a downright funk. I thought I had named my funk but it is still hanging around me like a nice grey blanket. I am more anxious than normal and I feel a bit lonely. Of course, I am looking out at a beautiful blue sky (many of them recently), and I am being kept busy with life at home and the kids. Life on the outside looks pretty good - really good. I am incredibly lucky! But the greyness is still there a bit. I have always been a bit harder on myself - I don't give myself enough credit for the things that I do well at times and those managers tends to strike more often when I am in a funk - normal I think. The old kicking when you are down saying. I have a fair amount of stressors right now - things that don't need to be mentioned here - and when you are feeling like yourself the stressors are not as heavy, if that makes sense.


Thanks, MBC, for the beautiful and inspiring picture.

When I am experiencing stress, change or transition or even a funk, I need to do some things for myself.
  • Breathing is a good start. Taking some deep breaths, clearing the mind. Yoga and meditation is good if you have the time. Stretching and breathing provides the space in your body to be present and to breathe out the ugly stuff.
  • Knowing it is all going to get done. It may be overwhelming but just know all tasks will be completed and focus on taking things bird by bird. A list that you can cross off is quite inspirational.
  • Naming the funk is huge. Once you name it, I usually feel better. Be patient with yourself to know what is bothering you and then feel the emotions.....
  • Not letting "it" define me. It is so hard not to let your feelings define you. Underneath all the anxiety and the stress is me. The adult me, the present. The rest of those emotions are parts - part of me feels this, part of me feels that, etc. Those parts are not me. I need to be kind to those parts instead of shluffing them off my shoulders (Did I just make up that word??!!). Understand they are there and be kind to them. But then let them know that the adult me can take care of them. They don't define me. I define me.
  • I don't need to be perfect.  Perfect is the enemy of good. Good is well, great!
  • Look out at nature. Realize the perspective in nature.
  • Smile. Smiling makes you feel better. It just does.

Mt. Zion National Park - Thank you, Tory Crimmins Brangham, for this awesome shot!

For my husband, put on Lost in My Mind by The Head and the Heart and get cooking!

Last night I made a soup for dinner that was a huge hit, especially with my youngest daughter, Sage, who had just run a 2 mile cross country meet and had soccer practice. It is very easy and very fast. You can consider marinating the steak but it is not necessary given the soup is well seasoned. It comes from Cook's Country (not sure where I got it) but here it goes.

Ginger Beef and Ramen Noodle Soup - serves 4
1 lb flank steak, trimmed
salt and pepper
1 tsp vegetable oil
8 cups chicken broth (I would use 10 next time)
1 2-inch piece of ginger, halved lengthwise and smashed. (I minced - the recipe calls for the strips to be in broth and taken out later, along with lime zest below)
3 2 1/2-inch lime zest plus 1T juice (I used juice of 2 limes)
4 packages of instant ramen noodles (without seasoning packets) (CHEAPEST FOOD THERE IS!)
5 scallions, sliced thin (I chopped)
1/4 cup soy sauce (I used between 1/4 and 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves (I also added fresh mint)
1 garlic clove, minced (the recipe did not call for this but I added it just the same)

Pat steak dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak and cook until well browned and temperature registers 125 for medium-rare, 6-8 minutes, flipping once. Transfer to cutting board, tent loosely with aluminum foil, and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice steak in half lengthwise, then slice against the grain. (I would cook a little longer - mine was pretty pink but did cook more in broth when eating.)


Meanwhile, bring broth, ginger, and lime zest to boil under Dutch oven over medium-high heat.  Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.

Remove ginger and lime zest from broth with slotted spoon (I minced and left in there for additional taste). Add noodles and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in scallions, soy sauce, and lime juice. Ladle noodles and broth into bowls and divide steak and cilantro evenly amount bowls. Serve.


Parting words - they say that if you can sit quietly a butterfly will come sit on your shoulder. I am in search for some butterflies today. Thanks, Rebecca Spengler, for the picture.

 
Enjoy and have a happy day, everyone!

No comments: