Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Fall in the South, y'all


Thank you, Rebecca Spengler for this delicious fall photograph above. I have been really appreciating the fall foliage from afar this year through pictures on Facebook.

Leaves have actually begun to change down here too in Augusta, which is surprising me because I feel like it was a bit later last year. Of course we also have some beautiful jasmine, roses, and other incredibly beautiful flowering plants in full bloom as well. Here are some flowers in my neighborhood.


Some other fall foliage beauties - another Spengler on left and Paula Roscioli on right.


I have a friend/former co-worker who is a talented photographer as well and she recently traveled to New Hampshire. Here is just one of her spectacular album. Look at that birch tree.....


I have always loved summer food the best but I really enjoy cooking fall and winter foods, with the sauces and slow cooking. Dishes that make the house smell so good while it cooks for hours. Even in 80 degree weather, you can still enjoy this type of cooking. Truly! Simple moments to be had!

When I think about moving to Augusta, I feel so grateful for the experience. Learning a new culture and even the little nuances that make life down here just a bit different than up north. Sometimes it is easier to notice the subtle differences.

I have been walking Chappy in this new park lately and there is a gigantic playground. OK - maybe gigantic is a bit of a stretch - but it is a really good size and very nice. I realized the other day that all of the play structures have huge covers over them. Of course that makes sense - keeps the kids shaded from sun and the structures from getting direct sunlight. I laughed at first because I don't think I have ever seen that in Boston.

I won't forget my first soccer game for Sage down here. It was a gorgeous day, sunny, blue skies and definitely warm. I walked onto the field and many people had umbrellas open. Who knew every day umbrellas weren't just for rain....they were also used for shade! Again, makes total sense but not an every day sight in Boston (except for the beach). Yes, I know....parasols....south.....gone with the wind....but still!

Mostly, I have appreciated the friendliness and genuine interest from everyone. I was walking the other day and this older gentleman and I ended up having a fantastic conversation about his life and military experience, beginning with being drafted for Vietnam. I feel so lucky to have had met him. People are always interested in striking up a conversation or just saying a simple hello. I have made some very good friends and for that I am incredibly grateful.

My friend Chris wrote me this quote in my birthday card. I loved it so much I had to post, "We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend." - Robert Louis Stevenson

The other aspect I have enjoyed about the south is the excellent manners, especially from children. In school, our kids now say ma'am and sir. That flows to outside of school on a regular basis. The level of respect and manners has increased, necessarily, here and that is appreciated.

In honor of Bill Withers' nomination to the Hall of Fame, put on Ain't No Sunshine on and get cooking!

Last night I made brisket. My mother in law started making this recipe years ago and honestly, I don't know where she got the recipe. You will laugh at the ingredients but it is so delicious and the easiest recipe I have ever posted. I have changed it up a bit over the years. It is a great weekend recipe but can definitely be done during the work week too. Everything can be put in the slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours as well. I made pilaf, roasted broccoli and a simple salad to complete the meal.


I will admit - I have been a bit nuts over the use of high fructose corn syrup in absolutely everything. As a result, I have tried to streamline this recipe to use ingredients that have few preservatives and artificial flavors/colors. However, no judgments. Do what makes you happy and sane. For the easiest recipe, use Lipton (or Trader Joe's) onion soup mix, canned cranberry sauce (Ocean Spray or organic), and either Heinz (or an organic chili sauce). I live in a place without Traders, so I made my own onion soup mix. Lipton, Ocean Spray and Heinz have stuff in their foods that I don't like to eat these days on a regular basis but really, that is my issue. I used Ocean Spray cranberry sauce yesterday because I couldn't find organic at Whole Foods.

Brisket
3 to 5 lb brisket (you should be able to see the lines in the meat - I used a 4 lb piece last night)
1 can cranberry sauce
1 jar chili sauce
1 packet onion soup mix (Or, 1 cup beef broth, minced onions, onion powder, ground pepper)

Place all ingredients in a deep pan or aluminum foil pan, cover with foil and bake at 325 degrees for 5 hours. Slice thinly on the diagonal or shred with a fork and let sit in juices for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with juices.


Enjoy and have a very happy day, everyone!

No comments: