Friday, January 16, 2015

January 16, 2015 - How about that?


This is my spot. This is the spot in the house where I do paperwork and where I write my blog.  This is my view. Right now it is gray outside.  The sun is supposed to peek out this morning. I am waiting to go for my morning walk with Chappy until I see a bit of sun.

Right now, that is not too promising....
Anyway....
back to winter.....The sun is peeking out in this picture so that will have to do for now (thank you, Erica).


I have heard two phrases lately that have really stuck with me. I like both for very different reasons.

1. It takes 21 days to form a habit. That can pertain to anything. For me, I am working very hard at not touching my phone, including dialing a number, while driving. The phone is down. If the car is not in park, I don't use it. That is admittedly a very hard thing to do. I have gotten considerably better over the years but I still needed change. If everyone is honest with themselves, it is hard for all of you too....But I am working on it and I am doing fairly well. After awhile, you don't even think to use it or it is easier to say - it can wait.

It can be 21 days of exercising - I am trying to get back into that too. I have been to 3 classes at the Y this week and I have been still walking Chappy. 21 days.

It can be 21 days of anything. Cooking meals at home. Buying healthier veggies and fruit. Reading a book. Of course these can be bad habits but I choose to think of this as a very positive statement. What habit will you start creating today?

2. A very wise man told me this week that I am not my mind. I have thought a lot about this. No pun intended. "I am not my mind" is a very powerful statement. The brain is so full of static, really, all the time. You can get so caught up in thoughts that it can make you feel as gray as the sky is today. During the day, I want to find a way to empty the mind, create space so that I can find myself a bit. Kinda like what this blog is about (partly, anyway) but taking a step further. Finding a way to be my true self, which is in the moment right now - where there is no past, no future and no baggage. No thoughts. No worries. Just peace. Even for a moment. I am not my mind. Thank you, Jeff Boodman, for the Spirit Tree.



Now, put on Runaway Baby by Bruno Mars - Doo-Wops & Hooligans and get cooking!!

Felicia Mathias told me about a recipe she made recently and being a complete lover of all foods Italian, I had to try it. I really loved it as did Kelley and Sosie. Sage is going through an odd phase, which is very unlike her. It is from Bon Appetit in August 2002. I halved the recipe and still had 2 nights of dinner for the 4 of us. I also served with roasted broccoli and cauliflower (olive oil, s&P, 375 degrees for 20 min or so).  This definitely took a little more time so do on a night when you are not rushing kids out to sports. Last night I made a simple dinner that was on the table in 20-30 minutes. This is not that meal but you can make it a little faster than the recipe states....


Pasta with Sausage, Tomatoes, and Mushrooms, Bon Appetit, August 2002
2 1/2 lbs Italian sweet sausages, casings removed, crumbled (the meat dept will remove casings)
3T olive oil
1 1/2 lbs mushrooms, thickly sliced (I used less)
3 cups chopped onions (I used slightly less)
1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano
6 large garlic cloves, chopped (I used slightly less and minced)
1 cup dry white wine
5 cups canned crushed tomatoes with added puree
2 cups diced tomatoes (about 4 medium-large tomatoes) (I used 2 plums, remember I halved recipe)
2T (1/4 stick butter)
1 1/4 lbs pappardelle or mafaldine pasta (or any wide, flat noodle) (I used tagliatelle bc that's what I had)
1 1/2 cups grated pecorino Romano cheese (about 4 1/2 oz) (I used full amount cheese, even though I halved the recipe!)

Sauté sausage in heavy pot over medium-high heat until brown, about 12 minutes.  Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to large bowl.


Add oil to drippings in pot. Add mushrooms and onions; sauté until tender and brown, about 15 minutes. Stir in 1 cup chopped basil, oregano, and garlic; sauté 1 minute.


Add wine; cook until almost absorbed, about 4 minutes. Add sausage and crushed tomatoes; cover and simmer over medium heat until thickened, about 25 minutes. Add diced tomatoes and butter; simmer until tomatoes are soft, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and refrigerate. Bring to a simmer before continuing.)


Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain well; return to pot. Pour sauce over pasta; toss to coat. Add 1/2 cup cheese and 1/2 cup basil; toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper (I didn't add salt). Transfer pasta to serving dish. Serve passing remaining cheese separately.


Yum!! Enjoy and have a very happy day! It is still gray but I am walking anyway. Embrace the gray!!

1 comment:

Michelle Hoffman said...

That looks so good!!

I now am trying to keep my phone in the glove compartment when I drive. I turn on the Bluetooth so I can listen to music or take a call, but it's not visible to me.

Pretty seat to work!