Tuesday, February 25, 2014

First Day and Asian Chicken and Cabbage Salad

Ok. So today I started a blog. Why today?? I'm not sure! Over the course of several months friends and family have suggested I start a blog related to moving to Augusta, GA from Needham, MA as well about cooking for families since I post about food a lot on Facebook. Today I was feeling a little down and this prospect got me excited and the juices flowing. I am also more spontaneous in nature so...why not?!

I am not going to spend tons of time editing my writing in this blog. I hope that is ok. I am learning that perfect is the enemy of good and if I spend all my time making this perfect, it won't get published and it won't be the real me in the end.

The truth is that I love to cook. I would not call myself talented. I am fortunate to know some extremely talented cooks and bakers. I often call upon them for recipes and advice so this is their work. I love to cook though. I find it relaxing and I enjoy seeing a meal from start to finish. It allows me to be in the moment and to just be and those are moments I seek every day.

I love whole foods. I love simple foods combined to make complex tastes. I say all of this but the every day world does not allow for hours spent cooking in the kitchen. For the first time in my life, I am not working outside the home. It has given me the ability and the time to appreciate cooking more and for that I am extremely grateful. More on not having an outside job another day!

In terms of meal planning, I do like to plan my dinners each week. I may not make dish A on it's designated day but it gives me structure to the week and I find it cuts down on trips to the store and on money spent. I have a great paper tool that I never used in Needham but use every week here. I map out the week with meals and activities. When I create a new one, I use the old one for the grocery list. Reduce, reuse, recycle. Yes, I am sure there is a handy app that would allow me to put everything online but...I am still old fashioned. I still balance my checkbook in pencil to the penny and I use this paper organizer, in conjunction with my iPhone calendar!



Meal planning. Like many friends and family, each week I usually have a night of Italian, Mexican, Asian and then American or something else of some sort and pizza. I do try and have a vegetarian night once a week at least. I always have lots of veggie options with meals.  We have a weekly tradition down here of eating out for dinner on Fridays.

There are many nights where we eat frozen pizza or pasta and sauce with frozen meatballs. I love those nights too. I miss Trader Joes and their mini beef tacos. I would get those, their guacamole, canned corn, make a simple tomato, pepper, cilantro, onion, lime salad. Serve with the tacos, corn, guac and you've got a great meal. Dinner can just be dinner too. We are all busy with lots of activities. No need to ever feel badly for that!

Everyone has a food they love and would love to eat every day.  For me it is Italian. I love it so I do try to make sure I have 1-2 Italian meals each week!

Are the meals kid friendly??? I think so. I feed them to my kids. Many years ago I asked our pediatrician if we should make separate meals for our kids. His response was to feed them your meal. They won't starve. They will learn to eat what is for dinner. So....for better or worse, they eat our meal. The rule is that they have to try it 10 times before they say no, and sadly for them, I might still make it (as in the case of last night's dinner).

Ok. So the first dinner I will share is one my sister in law gave to me. It is from the May 2013 issue of Bon Appetit. I love this recipe and I make this often. I cut down the work on this one to make it even faster. It is filling, fresh and yummy and I am making it tonight. Last time we made it, Kel brined the chicken breast before grilling. It was delicious. I need to look online for the brining recipe he used. This dish does have cilantro. If you feel like cilantro tastes like soap it means you likely have an allergy to it. Substitute with parsley or nothing!

Go put on Pharrell's, "Happy" and get cooking!!

Asian Chicken and Cabbage Salad

1 jalapeƱo pepper with a few seeds, chopped (I omit or use milder pepper)
1/3 cup canola oil
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (always fresh squeezed)
2T reduced sodium soy sauce
2 tsp. light brown sugar
1 tsp. fish sauce (such as nam pla or nuoc nam)
1 tsp. peeled, grated ginger
Kosher salt
1/2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced, about 5 cups
3/4 cup shredded carrots (for last two I buy bagged cabbage, broccoli slaw, carrots-much faster)
4 scallions, white and green parts only, thinly sliced
3 cups shredded roasted chicken breast (or brined and grilled or rotisserie for a super fast meal)
1 cup baby spinach, thinly sliced
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup chopped dry roasted peanuts (omit or substitute per allergy)
1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds

Whisk chili, oil, lime juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, fish sauce and ginger; season with salt if necessary. Can be made ahead.

In a large bowl, combine cabbage, carrots, spinach, scallions and cilantro; toss to combine. Can be made ahead, covered and refrigerated.

Pour dressing over salad and toss; add chicken and toss to coat. Top with peanuts and sesame seeds.

Serves 4.

 

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Go AMY!!! Love it and love the real you. No editing or obsessing allowed. I am SO looking forward to following you and trying out your recipes. I've already learned something key... I need to plan. Which I do in life but NEVER in cooking. Oh, and "Happy" is our new morning song. It gets us all going, even if some combination of our crew has sadly awakened on the wrong side of the bed:) So so happy for you! Though I do miss you terribly:) XOXO

Amy Lynne Connolly said...

I found an easy brine. http://www.food.com/recipe/basic-brine-for-juicy-tender-chicken-or-turkey-306144

K-dubs said...

Love it. I will be a regular reader. Try to remember us little people when you make it big in the blog-o-sphere.

Becke said...

Amy - You ARE a great and healthy cook, adventurous and a devourer of fresh veggies. I miss you and wish I could ship you some microgreens right now. Here is the dressing: 1 part balsamic, 1 part white wine vinegar, 3 parts walnut oil, minced garlic and S&P to taste. Shake shake shake and enjoy!

Unknown said...

Look forward to your posts! I also cook only one meal for adults and children and am grateful that they are generally happy with what I make and probably the reason why they all love salmon and tilapia. Now the trick is to get better at planning meals. Thanks for the inspiration!

Karsten said...

love it! keep it up. - k

Unknown said...

Yeah! Great way to keep up with what you are doing and to get some yummy recipes to boot! Miss you, your company and your yummy impromptu (or what feels impromptu to me) meals. M x