Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Two days in a row and Sage's favorite....Alfredo


As I look out onto the grey day outside, I keep thinking about Mexico......

The water was so blue there and matched the sky in such a lovely way. The warm breezes were wonderful and the green grass and flowers were appreciated in their wonder. Aahhh.......it feels like a dream ago. Spring is coming though.  When we moved to Augusta, we didn't know what to expect in terms of our seasons, except for summer - we pretty much know what summer will be (yikes!). In the fall, leaves did come off some trees, grass went dormant and it did get cooler. Now though, daffodils and forsythia are blooming, camellia flowers are out and there are even some magnolias and cherry blossoms. The air is spring like too with variable temperatures - 40s and 50s one day and 60s and 70s other days. I am a little turned around of course being used to Boston weather and it is only February. This weather makes me hopeful that spring will come to everyone soon. What a winter it has been!

 
Simple moments. I think about certain times of the day that I truly love. The moment in yoga when I sit up right before class ends and you are done with savasana.  My mind is never more open and clear and calm than at that point. Or the moment when I pick the kids up from school. I do the car line thing now at Augusta Prep, where the girls go to school.  I pick Sage up at 3 p.m. and then Sosie after or later depending on sports and other activities. I wait in this incredibly organized car line and Sage is walked to the car with a smile on her face every day. I long to see that smile and that face. She hops in the car and either tries to climb up to give me a hug or her shoes (and socks) come off, her backpack opens and she starts her homework, before we are off school property. For many weeks when we first arrived, I would take the kids various places for cookie snacks after school. A fun tradition. We don't do it as often but it sure is fun!

Yesterday I shared the blog news with the girls. They were very cute and Sage especially was filled with ideas, including recipes. So, today I will share one of her very favorite recipes, Alfredo sauce.  I got this from a dear work friend of mine. As she says, it is a very flexible recipe. I like to cook it with a pasta that has lots of grooves and pockets for the cheese to get captured, or you can use a thicker kind of Cipriani, which is a beautiful and delicious pasta. Ina Garten talks about Cipriani a lot in her books but I never found it until we moved here. It is more expensive but worth every single bite.

In terms of the recipe, I like to add tomatoes and peas at times, reminiscent of another recipe I will share at some point called Straw and Hay. I usually serve with some sort of roasted vegetable, like broccoli and a simple salad. For broccoli, I will cut into little trees, put into a baking pan, put some olive oil, kosher salt and pepper and roast on 375 or 400, depending on my mood, I like when they are pretty crispy and carmelized, maybe 15-20 minutes? Maybe longer? Just keep an eye on them and when they look good to eat, take 'em out!

I didn't grow up with bottled salad dressing. My grandmother used to make this awesome salad with Sunday chicken dinner. I crave it to this day. My dad and mom also made their own vinaigrette with dinner so I do too now. Amazing how that stuff gets passed along. Anyway - I mix olive oil and vinegar (sometimes it is balsamic, sometimes it is apple cider vinegar, or red wine or even champagne vinegar). Sometimes I will just do lemon juice and olive oil. It all depends on the salad. It used to be 2 to 1...I tend to do more like 1 to 1....I put olive oil in and then the vinegar to taste. I do like a tang sometimes and sometimes I want the dressing to be more mellow. Then, salt and pepper. You can be creative and add garlic or Dijon mustard too. Again, it depends on your mood and on the salad and the rest of the meal.

OK - time to put on the song, Timber, by Ke$ha and get cooking. That song was the theme of our vacation with my brother and sister in law. It makes me smile when I hear it.

Alfredo - for 8 oz (so keep in mind - you may need to double)

1/4 cup butter
1 cup heavy cream
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 1/2 cups freshly grated parm cheese (though I cheat on the freshly grated more often than not)
1/4 cup parsley
pinch of nutmeg (fresh or not)
freshly ground pepper

Melt butter with garlic in a medium saucepan (enjoy that smell!) over medium low heat. Add cream and bring to a simmer, then add cheese and whisk quickly, heating through.  Stir in pasta, parsley, nutmeg and pepper.

As my friend said, you can add mushrooms, chicken, shrimp, or veggies......

Don't freak out because of the butter and heavy cream.  Everything in moderation. Indulge and live a little and add lots of veggies to the meal. While I have not done this, as she suggests, you can use evaporated milk for a lower fat version. Yum!



No comments: