Tuesday, March 11, 2014

A dinner that reminded me of home.....

The Connolly family looked at the puppies on Sunday, and met the mother, Sky! It was an exciting day for all of us and they were, as promised, all amazingly cute. Four weeks old. I posted this picture on Facebook but this was one of the times we saw them all together after we played with them, four at a time. All eight (yes there are eight in that picture!) have little things about them that make them lovable and cute in their own way.  We even thought about moving to last on the list so we wouldn't have to choose! Mom was the perfect size, loving and protective but also trying to ween them a little bit. I know how she feels!

Of course, this visit hit home the reality that we were going to be adding a puppy to the family, especially as we purchased some necessary gear for the little peanut. Yikes. I have loved our little family over the past 16 years and I am not sure I want the change. I love it just being us, I like my alone time. I don't want to have to pick up poops and think about something else all the time, I love only thinking about the kids, I never thought I would ever get a dog, etc......Adding a puppy affects everything. UGH.

Then, I thought some more...there have been many stages to our family. Getting engaged, getting married, moving to Boston, having one child, having another child, moving to different homes, moving to Augusta. This is yet another change, another shift. Another chance to grow. Another chance to grow. Having our children has been the most rewarding aspect of my life. They ARE my world in so many ways. Will I have enough love for this little thing coming into our lives? I am sure I will. It will bring joy, heartache, frustration and love. Just as it should. Just as it was meant to be.

Last night I made a dinner that I thought I would share today. The recipe comes from a restaurant (and Dave Becker's cookbook by the same name) in Needham called Sweet Basil that we have frequented for 14 years. It may seem complicated but it really isn't, so put on Give It to Me by Timbaland and get cooking!

Chicken Scallopine with Lemon, Capers and Tomatoes
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
All purpose flour for dusting
Kosher salt and pepper
3 TBSP olive oil
3 TBSP unsalted butter
8 cloves garlic, minced (I used much less, 3 but could've used 4-5)
1/2 cup white wine
juice of 2 lemons
2 cups chicken stock
2 plum tomatoes (I didn't have plum, so used 3 regular)
2 TBSP salted rinsed capers (I used a little more)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley for garnish. (I used a little at the end in the pan too)

Pound the chicken thin, by placing plastic wrap on top of breasts and either roll or use a mallet to 1/2 inch thickness. I bought thin sliced cutlets. I think I would have liked to have thinned out a bit more but it was just fine.

Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dust generously with flour. Shake off excess and set aside.

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add 1 TBSP of butter.  After it melts, brown the chicken in the skillet - 4-5 min on one side, 1-2 min on the other side until golden brown. Transfer to plate. It won't be fully cooked yet.

Add the garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the white wine and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer, scraping the browned bits at the bottom of the pan, until most of the liquid is gone. Add the chicken stock, tomatoes and capers.  Increase the heat to high, and bring liquid to a boil. Simmer for 6 minutes, or until liquid is decreased by one-third.

Stir in remaining TBSP of butter (or one, if you prefer) and return chicken to pan and simmer for 2 minutes, or until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through. Season with S&P. I added a little parsley to the pan at this point and then some more for garnish.

I served this with orzo in pesto sauce from Trader Joes (loved hitting the Charlotte Traders a couple of weekends ago!). I also sautéed spinach in olive oil and garlic, salt and pepper and then added a little parm on top.

I added a bit of parm to the rest of the dishes too. Enjoy and have a spectacular day!



No comments: