Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Bright spot to a rainy day



A rainy day.  The kind of day where I think - how am I supposed to have a simple moment today. My mind is racing, my husband is traveling, it is gray and cold, and I have a ton to do. I had planned on going to yoga but decided to go to the YMCA instead. Not sure why. If I had been in Needham, I would have been at HYP for sure, well especially with the weather up there right now. The studios here don't have the same level of heat. The heat at HYP is intense and healing. That said, I do appreciate the ability to practice here in Augusta.

The Family Y here is huge. It has an indoor and outdoor track and a huge basketball court that the track surrounds. Of course it takes 12 times around to get to a mile, so I do feel a bit like a hamster. There are also 2 pools inside, several outside and a CrossFit gym (classes are free).

Anyway - the track....I really have enjoyed the track. I put on some music or Matty in the Morning (IHeart Radio) and walk. I don't walk long but it changes things up and gets me out of my head.  I see many of the same people each day there. It is incredibly diverse in just about every way. We focus on differences so much in life. What makes us unique, different and special is important but it is also good to remind ourselves of our similarities too. We have many things in common with each other. For all of us walking on that track each day, or playing basketball or on the machines, we are all there for a reason - to be healthy. We may go home to very different lives but that Y is a community. When I was working each day, I had a community at work. We find communities in different aspects of our lives. I realized today that the Y is a community of sorts for me and that made me feel good.

A bright spot to a rainy day. Just like the daffodil above.

A friend asked me about books I have been reading and if I could mention them on the blog - I just finished Resurrecting Amelia (two thumbs up) and A Time in Between (also two thumbs up). The latter is a long epic novel while Resurrecting Amelia is a quick read. I also absolutely adored Me Before You and really did not want that book to end.

Time to put on Bastille's Pompeii and get cooking!

Today I am going to give you a recipe for pilaf and also for a dish that does not have a name! My mom makes it all the time and now I do. It is not fancy or necessarily exciting but it gets the job done and is healthy. I really enjoy it.  My kids had it two nights in a row and there was minimal complaining - they do not like leftovers generally speaking - what kids do really?

Pilaf - This is a version of a family recipe. Each member of my family makes it differently and it is always yummy, however you adapt it. This is a great and easy side dish for really anything - steak or chicken or fish too. Kids love it because of the butter and egg noodles - how can you go wrong with that??

Pilaf
1 cup long grain white rice
2 cups lower sodium beef broth or bouillon
1-2 TBSP unsalted butter
handful thin egg noodles (thinnest you can find) or middle eastern vermicelli

In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter. Once melted, put in the handful of dry egg noodles and brown.

Once browned, put in the rice and let the butter coat the rice.

Add the broth and bring to a boil.  Simmer for 20 minutes and then remove from heat. Do not lift the lid during cooking.

Once cooked, fork it a bit to stir it up and serve.

The story is that when an Armenian mother in law would taste her daughter in law's pilaf, she would say it is a little lapa meaning moist. Pilaf was supposed to be dry. Nice....

Of course, Kelley and the kids prefer it moist!

Armenians will also put matzoon on their pilaf which I did not like as a kid but love it now. Matzoon is plain yogurt.

I serve this with the next dish because the juices go nicely with the pilaf. Even better, make a salad so you can mash it all together, unless you are a food separator! I made a simple salad with romaine, onion, tomato, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.





Ground Beef and Vegetables
1 pound ground beef (or ground turkey) (or skip the meat altogether!)
1/4 small onion, preferably sweet Vidalia
1 celery stalk
1 orange pepper
1 green zucchini
1/2 yellow squash if desired
1 14-oz can diced tomatoes
1-2 TBSP olive oil
1-2 garlic cloves minced
Dash of oregano, basil, parsley, mint
S&P

Cook the beef until no longer pink on medium high heat. Drain and set aside and towel off the pan. Saute vegetables with olive oil and garlic till just tender. Add the tomatoes with the juice and cook for about 5 more minutes. Add the meat back into the pan and the herbs as well as a cup of water.



Let stew together for about 10 minutes. Serve next to or on top of the pilaf.
   Voila!

Enjoy and have a great day!

 

1 comment:

hoffman_mk92 said...

Oooo....I think beef and veggies will be dinner tomorrow night! So glad you liked Time in Between - am also glad you are including a soundtrack for cooking in your blog...a nice little bonus!