Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Loving flowers and a delicious and easy Thai dish

Flowers can instill such a happy feeling.  I do love them so much.

This picture was taken in Italy a couple of summers ago.

Mornings are such a harried time of day, aren't they? Waking up, eating breakfast, getting stuff together for work or school, packing snacks or lunches and getting out the door at just the right time. Kinda hard to have a simple moment.

Sosie has been wanting to get to school earlier and earlier, to talk to teachers, get her books into her locker and such, so she doesn't feel late. This morning she woke up first, came in to my room, woke me up and turned on my light. Then, she gently woke up Sagey and after getting dressed, brushing teeth and everything, went downstairs to make breakfast for her and her sister. Now, I know she does this to get out of the door on time, but I love that she makes her sister breakfast every morning and shows her tenderness.  Showing and giving tenderness goes a long way in our crazy lives.

On the way to school, we always listen to Matty in the Morning from Boston on I Heart Radio and before they get out of the car, we have a little thing we do. I say - Be a, and they say, Leader. I say Be a, and they say, Learner. I say Be a, and they say Friend. I say Be, and they say Kind.  I say Be Your, and they say, Best Self. Then, we have little hand signals that mean we love each other so we don't do lots of hugs and kisses.  So, even in the midst of the craziness, there are simple moments to be found, if you open to them.

Time to put on Rock & Roll by Eric Hutchinson and get cooking.

I made this recipe last night. It is from Everyday Food a few years ago. I modify it a bit so that it is more mild for the kids but you can definitely add some kick if you want. And you know what could go well on this???? TOMATILLO SALSA! HA!

Thai Beef with Chiles over Coconut Rice
1 1/4 cups jasmine rice (I use brown jasmine rice if I can find it)
1 can coconut milk (I use light)
coarse salt
2 TBSP plus 1 tsp fish sauce (I tend to use 3 TBSP)
2 TBSP plus 1 tsp soy sauce (I tend to use 3 TBSP)
1 tsp sugar
1 TBSP vegetable oil (or canola)
3 garlic cloves, chopped (I mince)
3 long hot peppers, seeded and sliced into 2-inch matchsticks (I tend to use mini sweet peppers and then you can use a little poblano or another kind with many seeds taken out)
1 1/4 pounds ground beef sirloin
1 cup loosely packed torn basil leaves
lime wedges, for serving (I tend to just squeeze juice of a lime into the pan before serving)

In a medium saucepan, combine rice, coconut milk, 3/4 cup water, and 1/2 tsp salt (I omit). Cover and bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed, about 25 minutes.

When rice is almost done, combine fish sauce, soy sauce and sugar in a small bowl; set aside.  Heat a cast-iron skillet or wok over high (I just use my all purpose pan). Add oil and heat; add garlic and half the peppers. Cook, stirring constantly, 15 seconds (I do more). Add beef and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until completely browned, about 4 minutes.  Add soy mixture and cook 30 seconds. Add basil and remaining peppers, and stir to combine.  Serve beef over coconut rice with lime wedges.

Yum! Thank you so much for reading and have a spectacular day!






2 comments:

chrisalee said...

This looks delish! Can't wait to try it--I think this is something I can actually do!

Sally said...

Love that song and live hearing about the girls! Xo