Monday, March 3, 2014

Spring is coming and some yummy side dishes



Spring is coming. I promise. This picture is from one of my very favorite places on earth. Martha's Vineyard. It is a place I can completely relax and be at peace. I find new gems every time I go and the farmer's market is a tradition of many years.

I had a moment with Sage at the end of last week that I wanted to share. She was sitting next to me on the couch and we were both reading our books.  She was nearing the end of her very thrilling book. I could feel Sage tense up and she was reading with such emotion. Sage was so completely into her book and I absolutely loved being able to witness that time. Before this fall, Sage was not one to opt to sit down to read.  If you know Sage, from the moment she wakes until she goes to sleep, she talks. She loves to talk and narrate her day.  There is a program at school encouraging kids to read 4000 pages, thereby becoming a 100 club member. Sage wanted to be part of the 100 club. Sage became a reader. This was the perfect program for someone like her. I have loved watching her grow in that way but sitting on the couch watching her read was a moment to remember. Now that she has made it into the club, let's see if she continues!

Today I am going to share some of my kids favorite sides and one of my favorite too. The last one is more of a summer salad but since it is in the picture, I thought I would share it. I don't have a picture of the cauliflower but trust me when I tell you, it is absolutely delicious, kinda crack like in its addictive qualities.  All three are very simple and easy for a week night.

Put on N.E.R.D.'s Windows and get cooking. This song makes me want to put on a go go dress and dance with Austin Powers.

The two salads.

The first one is a Caesar Salad. My friend from work gave me the recipe for the dressing.

Caesar Salad and Dressing

Juice of 1 lemon
3-4 TBSP light mayo
3-4 TBSP olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup parm or more
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients and let sit for 15 minutes in frig.

1 head romaine lettuce
Additional parm for top
Croutons
Red onion
Tomatoes if desired
Anchovies if desired

This recipe doesn't call for egg, like many other recipes for this dressing do.  I make the dressing and then slice up the romaine and put in a bowl, then add sliced onion, croutons and additional parmesan.  Above, I used shaved for the topping. If you don't have croutons, don't fret, they are simple to make. You can just cut up some bread, put olive oil in a pan, coat the bread while cooking on low heat - toast them in pan, add a little salt and pepper if desired and voila!

Fig Salad
I kind of made this one up based on a recipe for an appetizer. It is best with fresh summer vegetables.

Tomatoes - several of them
Red onion
Basil - chopped finely
garlic clove, minced
Several figs sliced
Blue cheese
Salt and pepper

Mix all ingredients together and add the balsamic vinaigrette from my first post. Let sit.

Parmesan-Roasted Cauliflower

This comes from Barefoot Contessa's At Home Book, page 146.

1 large head cauliflower
3 TBSP olive oil
salt and pepper
1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (I have cheated often and just used already grated)
1 cup freshly grated gruyere cheese (I have cheated and used already grated here too)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
This recipe calls for removing the outer green leaves from the cauliflower and cutting into little trees. My friend roasts his cauliflower whole and I am going to try that this week. For the sake of her recipe, we will assume we cut into small florets.

Place the florets on a sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.  Toss well.  Bake for 30 minutes, tossing once until the cauliflower is tender and starts to brown.  Sprinkle with the Parmesan and Gruyere and bake 1 to 2 more minutes (I bake more like 4 minutes), just until the cheese melts.  Season to taste and serve hot or warm.

Enjoy and have a great day!

No comments: