Thursday, April 24, 2014

A bit of this, a bit of that!


What do you see when you look at this picture? For me, I have very fond memories of this view and not much gives me more peace and light than when I am looking at the water and sand. This is in Chatham, Cape Cod. What is that kind of place for you?


I have always adored sunflowers. How they stand up straight with all their friends and stare at the sun. They are so cheery and strong, beautiful too. What do you look at in nature that speaks to you?


On most nights I cook, I light candles when I do so. I find the light and the flicker relaxing. It signals that now is the time to slow down, be in the moment and create something delicious for my family. Even if it is pasta and bottled sauce. No matter what it is I am making, it is for me but more importantly, it is for others and it is time to chill out. I can't cook and do bills or do laundry or text at the same time. That is not to say I don't multi-task. I am just saying, for a few minutes, I try to focus on the moment. That is when I find cooking the most relaxing. What relaxes you?

Time to put on Animals by Martin Garrix and get cooking!

Last night was a beautiful night that begged an outdoor dinner. It was so tasty and the setting was great....

Greek-Style Burgers with Feta Aioli - Cooking Light, a million years ago
Aioli (I sometimes double this recipe because it is really good)
1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
2 T light mayo
2 T plain fat free yogurt
1/4 ground pepper
1 garlic clove minced

Burgers
5 (1/2 inch thick) slices red onion
Cooking spray
1 pd lean ground sirloin
2/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs (I use fresher than canned but not homemade)
1/3 cup chopped bottled roasted red bell peppers
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp salt (I omit usually)
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 garlic cloves, minced
rolls of your choice - they call for sourdough sandwich buns (I typically don't use a bun!)

For aioli: Combine first ingredients in a food processor, pulse one minute or until smooth. Cover and chill.

For onion: Place onion slices on a broiler pan or grill coated with cooking spray. Cook 2 minutes on each side, set aside.

For burgers: Combine beef and next 9 ingredients in a large bowl.  Divide beef mixture into 5 equal portions (I make more like 9 smaller burgers). Place patties on grill rack or broiler pan coated with cooking spray, and cook 6 minutes on each side or until burgers are done.

Spread 1 1/2 T aioli over top of the burger, along with the onions. Voila!



I made this with both roasted and steamed broccoli. We also had some fries (not homemade!!) for the kids too.


 
Enjoy and have a spectacular night!



1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Amy, what a lucky family... Each meals sounds delicious
miss you