Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Three days until vacation, not that I am counting down or anything!

Spring has sprung here in Augusta, Georgia. Tons of blooming trees and flowers makes for a beautiful city as well as many sneezes, itchy eyes and runny noses! This tree in my back area is so lovely and I love watching the petals fall onto my patio during the day. We have had a stretch of above normal temperatures finally and I can only hope that trend affects my northern friends and family as well.
I was talking on Monday about growing pains in the family as our children age and change. I had been in a bit of a funk for a few weeks and not really understanding why. I knew I was a little homesick and lonely but that really wasn't it because things are going generally well here. I am coming to grips with the nerves of gaining a puppy in the family so that wasn't the issue either. After a wonderful conversation, I realized that it was because I am feeling a small sense of loss. I think that I am mourning a little for the way our family was when the kids were younger, if that makes sense. As kids age, their needs change and their methods of connecting and communications change.

Growing pains.

It is up to me as a parent to be flexible and patient and grow with them. Bigger kids, bigger problems. The kids are definitely at the in between stage as I mentioned and it is important to provide opportunities for them to remain kids but a certain amount of flexibility has to come into play as they stretch their wings a little. New ways to connect and communicate will emerge, especially after some talking. This also does not mean I am not excited for the next stage of our family. It just means I'm a little sad this stage is ending. After naming my funk, I am feeling better.

Last night, Sosie and I found ourselves alone for dinner. I thought we could go out for dinner after soccer practice at this great spot called Takosushi (think Asian and Mexican). We pulled into Surrey Center (a wonderful place) and Sosie told me she really wanted to eat at home. So, home we went. We had leftover chicken pot pie and salad with ranch dressing that Sage had made in cooking class (yum!!) and just hung out. We talked, we watched tv, we shopped on the internet and we connected. A simple moment greatly appreciated.



Put on With Ur Love by Cher Lloyd and get cooking!

As we get more and more into spring, grilling becomes more of a norm and helps makes meals easier and delicious too.

A dear friend gave me this recipe many years ago and I use it all the time, sometimes adding more or less depending on the poundage of meat. She thinks it comes from Cooks Illustrated. I served this with corn on the cob, steamed broccoli and a wedge salad. I had grand plans of making pilaf as well but unfortunately life got in the way.

A side note: how long do you cook your corn? 2 minutes or 3 tops is all you should cook corn nowadays. Corn now is different than corn of 3 decades ago when we were growing up. Try it...you will see that the corn is good every single time.

Garlic and Herb Marinade (for 2 pds steak tip/sirloin strips)
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup olive oil
3 medium cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1T minced rosemary
1T minced thyme
1T dark brown sugar
1T tomato paste
1T ground pepper

Combine in gallon size ziplock, pressing out as much air as possible. Refrigerate one hour, flipping bag over in 30 minutes to evenly marinade. Grill and tent to rest for 15 minutes before slicing.


Becke and Anja's Blue Cheese Dressing
(makes 4 generous servings)
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup light sour cream
1/4 cup bleu cheese (Danish, gorgonzola, Roquefort, crumbled)
2 tsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp seasoned salt or just salt and pepper to taste
2 T finely chopped red or sweet onion

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, smashing the cheese against the side of the bowl. Let "age" in frig for one hour.  Taste for seasoning and thickness. Adjust to your taste. If too thick, thin with a tsp or so of milk.

For the iceberg wedge:
Slice one head of iceberg into 8 wedges. Arrange on platter. Top with as much or as little vegetables as you would like.


Enjoy and have a spectacular day!

1 comment:

Michelle Hoffmeister said...

Hi Amy
Laid up on the couch for a couple of weeks so I was surfing and discovered your blog. Love it. Feel the same way about my kiddos often. Wish they would stay little but not really. Love the recipes you include. Miss you guys up here as soccer season is about to start. Tell Sage the knockouts miss her. Hope to see you sometime soon. 😜♥️Michelle