Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Blue skies and inner peace, for the moment!



"One isn't necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest."

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope."

Three of Maya Angelou's quotes.....What a profound and amazing person.

Today is a bright, sunny and hot day. I had such a great workout at the Y and am feeling grateful for my world. It is a day to slow down and enjoy a simple aspect to the day, to feel peace and quiet on the inside, even if for a moment. It may rain or storm later. Life may get in the way. You can do this, even in the craziest most stressful of times. Take a moment. Breathe deeply three times and start again. Take in the parts of your world that are good and know that at your core, you can overcome challenges that come your way.


Last night I wrote these words for my daughters - they read and appreciated them but will likely appreciate them as they grow older and older. I find it is important to share your love and feelings to family and friends. I know that many people aren't like this in the world. I feel people should know and feel deeply that they are special for themselves but it doesn't hurt to remind them every once in awhile too!!

Wishes for my girls
My wish is for you to know your beauty and your soul, to know what makes you happy and feel alive, to know yourself and your value, your worth.

My wish is for you to know your strengths and be aware of the challenges you have in front of you.
My wish is for you to learn the thing that makes you tick, the places you love and that speak to you.

My wish is for you to know what makes you laugh and what makes you cry, to know when to speak up and when to learn more in the quiet moments.
My wish is for you to surround yourself by people who know and appreciate your greatness, but for you to understand what makes you great first.

My wish is for you to have the room to grow always, knowing that may mean you may fall once or twice. Dust yourself off when that happens and get back up to try again.

My wish is for you to live a life filled with all kinds of adventures. Life is a journey and is meant to be lived to its fullest. Carpe Diem.
My wish is for you to know in your heart of hearts that you are good, really good.

My wish is for you to know that I am always here for you and I will always love you, unconditionally. I will listen and offer any help I can, and will try to be fair at all times. I will be honest in my opinions. This may make you unhappy sometimes but you can always count on me, always, to be truthful about the situation.
My wish is for you to take risks. Know that you may fail but you may win too. Take risks in relationships and take risks in life and in your adventures. Your life will be all the better for it.

My wish is for you to give to others. Open yourself up to new experiences and open yourself to those important to you. Give back to your community and be present in your relationships. 
My wish is for you to know that hard times will pass. Things will always get better. You have an incredible support system.

My wish is for you to understand that education is supremely important. It is going to give you the head start you need in life. Know this and work hard.
Be a leader, be a learner, be a friend, be kind, be your best self. Know you are loved and love yourself more.


Put on Fancy by Iggy Azalea and get cooking!

Today I am going to post the recipe for Asian Noodle Soup with Vegetables by Becke Drake. This is a great recipe, especially if you are feeling sniffly from allergies or a cold. This is a hit with the family and I hope it is with yours as well.

Asian Noodle Soup with Vegetables
1 qt chicken broth, preferably low sodium
1 cup water
1 T rice wine vinegar
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 inch piece of fresh ginger, minced (want less spice? use less ginger and garlic)
1-2 T soy sauce
1-2 T Asian sesame oil
1 tsp or to taste of sambal oelek or minced fresh chile pepper or hot pepper flakes (omit for less heat)

1 carrot, finely chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms (shitakes are good)
1 cup pea pods or sugar snaps, sliced in half lengthwise
2 cups bok choy cut into 1/2 inch slices

1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup sliced scallion
fresh mung bean sprouts
lime wedges for serving

4 oz or as desired, cooked noodles - ramen, udon, bean threads
Optional: 1/2 pound ground pork sautéed with garlic, ginger, scallion, soy sauce and sesame oil

Put first 8 ingredients into soup pot. Bring to a simmer. Add carrots and onions. Simmer 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and sugar snaps, simmer 5 minutes. Add bok choy and simmer 2 more minutes.  Taste for seasoning and add more soy sauce or sesame oil if necessary.

Put noodles and pork in bowls.  Pour soup over all.  Garnish each serving with cilantro, scallion and mung bean sprouts.  Serve with lime wedges.

You can be very creative with vegetables and spices. Experiment and have fun with this!

4 servings.


Enjoy and have a very happy day, everyone!!!

No comments: