Monday, May 5, 2014

Mind clutter


Today I told myself and my family that I was definitely going to get to the gym, get back to my routine. Expend some mental energy, let myself know that a puppy wasn't going to change every little thing about my day. I, of course, said that for the past few days but here was Monday. A new day, a new week.

I usually go to the gym after dropping the ladies off but since Chappy is here, I need to change my schedule. Change my schedule, but not change my routine. My routine is to go to the gym on weekdays. I must do this.

I was so proud of myself that I made it today. One day at a time. I got there and as I started on the track, my mind was racing. My body was tense. I couldn't wait to leave. My mind was cluttered. I wasn't enjoying the time. But, then something happened. Something clicked. My pace started to even out. I started counting my laps, and getting into the music. My mind started to clear, just a bit. I was able to focus and be in the moment. I was so grateful for that time. It puts life in perspective and allows breath to flow freely.

Time to put on Am I Wrong by Nico and Vinz and get cooking!

The other night I made a dish that is so tasty. It is a great and fast dinner too since it marinates all night and day. There is just something about marinating meat and then throwing it on the grill or in the oven. This recipe is from Barefoot Contessa's Back to Basics. I served it with a Belgium endive salad and Spinach Pie (this recipe will be in a forthcoming blog).

Herb-Marinated Loin of Pork
Grated zest of 1 lemon
3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (4 to 6 lemons)
1/2 cup good olive oil, plus extra for brushing the grill
2 T minced garlic (6 cloves)
1 1/2 T minced rosemary leaves
1 T chopped fresh thyme leaves
2 tsp Dijon mustard
Kosher salt
2-3 pork tenderloins, about 1 pd each
Freshly ground pepper

Combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, rosemary, thyme, mustard and 2 teaspoons salt in a sturdy 1-gallon resealable plastic bag.  Add the pork tenderloins and turn to coat with the marinade.  Squeeze out the air and seal the bag.  Marinate the pork in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours but preferably overnight.

When you are ready to cook, build a charcoal fire or heat a gas grill.  Brush the cooking grate with oil to prevent the pork from sticking. Remove the tenderloins and from the marinade and discard the marinade but leave the herbs that cling to the meat.  Sprinkle the tenderloins generously with salt and pepper.  Grill the tenderloins, turning a few times to brown on all sides, for 15 to 25 minutes, until the meat registers 137 degrees at the thickest part.  Transfer the tenderloins to a platter and cover tightly with aluminum foil.  Allow to rest for 10 minutes.  Carve in 1/2 inch thick diagonal slices.  The thickest part of the tenderloin will be quite pink and the thinnest part will be well done.  Season with salt and pepper and serve warm, or at room temperature with the juices that collect in the platter. 



Enjoy and have a spectacular day!!

1 comment:

Annie Kip said...

This looks delicious and easy, Amy! thank you!!!
And I wish that exercise made my mind clear - I think tennis is possibly the only thing I do that let's me totally escape.