Thursday, May 15, 2014

A Simple Moment


My friend Mary just visited Holland and was able to see the famous tulips there. This is something I have always wanted to see.  When she posted this picture on Facebook I HAD to ask if I could use it on the blog. I just love this picture. Thanks, Mary!

Last night we had a very nice dinner, complete with the kids having dessert from the ice cream truck. I don't think Sosie and Sage could've been more happy with that result. Our cousin, Hayley, is visiting us from Massachusetts.  It is so amazing of her to come to our little part of the world in Augusta. Of course we watched the Bruins lose last night, grr, but her arrival and our watching the game, brought me back to MA for a moment or two, while enjoying some of the nice parts of the south.

I am having a really nice moment right now, actually. A simple moment. I am sitting at the table writing this post. Hayley is reading at the table and Chappy is playing on the rug nearby. Pandora radio is playing and all is right in this space. A moment of peace and comfortable quiet.  I feel very grateful for this moment, knowing in short order, it will go away. It is good to recognize these moments and appreciate them. Hopefully, we all have one of these each day.

Sometimes it is easy to come up with a meal plan each week and sometimes I just don't know what to make. I know I have a lot of dishes that I could make but it is hard to keep track of all of them. A few years ago, I created a meal list that I refer to when creating my meal plan each week. When I learn to make something new, I write it down and so the list grows. This certainly isn't exhaustive of all the meals, but it is a starting point.


Time to put on Summer by Calvin Harris and get cooking!

Last night, we made Grilled Citrus Chicken from Bon Appetit, July 2013. My sister in law gave me this recipe and it has become a staple in our house, especially with guests. I made this dish with roasted broccoli, pilaf and a nice salad. An appetizer included sliced tomatoes with homemade pesto, blue cheese sprinkled on top, balsamic vinegar drizzled and basil leaves for pretty.


Grilled Citrus Chicken
1 3 1/2-4 lb chicken, cut into 8 pieces (the butcher will do this for you)
olive oil
kosher salt and pepper
2 lemons, halved
2 oranges, halved

Prepare grill for medium heat.  Rub chicken with 2 T olive oil; season with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Grill chicken, skin side down, turning occasionally and squeezing the juice from 2 lemon halves and 2 orange halves over often, until cooked through and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of thigh registers 165 degrees, 25-35 minutes.

Meanwhile, brush another 2 lemon halves and 2 orange halves with 1T oil. Grill, cut side down, until lightly charred, 5-10 minutes.  Serve chicken with grilled lemon and orange halves alongside for squeezing over. 

Note: Can brine the chicken for at least one hour and up to 6 hours. (We always brine for this meal)

Brine
4 cups water
1/3 cup Kosher salt
1/3 cup white or brown sugar
1/3 cup white vinegar


Enjoy and have a happy day!!!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would like a larger copy of your list! Mx