Thursday, June 12, 2014

Finding your moment through the stress of it all

A dear childhood friend of mine recently visited Iceland and took this picture. I loved it so much I asked to post it on the blog. It almost tells a story in a way. Thanks, Mona!

Sosie took this picture in North Carolina while we were visiting. It reminds me of summers at their best. We just went to the movies with Sosie's friend and mother. We saw Fault in the Stars. I really wish Sosie or I had the read the book but it was an excellent movie. Very, very sad and moving and of course touches on the fragility of life. Makes you want to appreciate the simple moments all the more. Movies are great because they push you to the present. You can get lost in someone else's story and feel that for a little while.

Sometimes it is so hard to slow down and enjoy even 5 minutes, much less 1 minute of life. Everything comes in the way and stress can add an even thicker lining preventing someone from enjoying that moment, almost as a cloud does. It distracts and weighs heavily on your back and shoulders. You can almost feel your posture shrink from stress at times. Don't forget to breathe.

Stress can define you. Try to break free from it, even for a few moments. Sit in the car and breathe deeply 10 times. Go sit on your floor and meditate for a few minutes. Usually I find it is to find time alone that helps me but maybe being with your family or calling a friend, that helps you. Find that moment. That moment will help center you, help you tackle the next few hours until you can find some time again. Don't forget to breathe.

Last weekend in NC, my cousin's wife made this awesome steak salad. Then, my friend told me about this marinated steak she bought recently and I had the ingredients for these roasted peppers that I decided to throw it all together and see if it worked. I used the Oregano Vinaigrette from the last salad and voila! I think it was pretty good!! You can use the roasted peppers as a side dish and you can certainly marinate the steak differently.

Time to put on I'm Ready by AJR and get cooking!

Roasted Peppers and Tomatoes with Herbs and Capers - from Martha Stewart's June Magazine
2 red bell peppers
2 yellow bell peppers (I threw in orange too for the pretty factor)
1 1/2 lb. Campari tomatoes, halved
3/8 tsp kosher salt, divided (of course I guestimated that!)
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup fresh flat leaf parsley leaves
3T EVOO
1T fresh oregano, chopped
1T capers, rinsed and drained
2 tsp minced fresh garlic
12 nicoise olives, pitted and halved

Preheat broiler to high.  Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes.  Place halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand.  Broil 10 minutes or until blackened.  Wrap peppers in foil, let stand 10 minutes. Peel and cut into 1/2 inch strips.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Combine tomatoes, 1/4 tsp salt and black pepper in a medium bowl.


Combine remaining salt, parsley, and remaining ingredients in a small bowl. 


Place one-third of the tomatoes in the bottom of a 1 1/2 quart gratin dish.  Top with one third of peppers and one third of parsley mixture. Repeat layers twice, ending with parsley mixture.  Cover and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until vegetables are thoroughly heated. Cool to room temperature, cover and chill. (I didn't have such a gratin dish so I only did one layer and I actually let it sit overnight in frig. It came out delicious.


Marinade
2 lbs Flank Steak or Steak Tips
Juice of 1-2 limes
Maybe 1/4-1/2 cup olive oil
2T Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup cilantro, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and Pepper

Salad
Romaine, one head
4 sliced radishes
5 sliced mushrooms
1 carrot, sliced
1/4 onion, diced
1 cup, freshly grated parmesan cheese
(really, you can put anything in here)


Oregano Vinaigrette from Nancy's Chopped Salad and you are good to go! I would keep everything separate and assemble each plate separately.


Enjoy and have a really happy day, everyone!!!






No comments: