Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Is it just me or is the world a little cray-cray??


Thanks, MBC! You can look at this as just a sunset but to me it is so much more. The sun fighting to come out from behind the clouds. The sun is so much more dramatic when there is more around it to balance. More in the sky. Look at the reflection on the calm water and the rays in different directions. The blue peeking out from above and the layers of color.

Anyway......

Is it just me or has there been an inordinate number of earthquakes lately? I feel like every day there is another one - some smaller than others. Of course there have also been devastating floods and volcanos erupting too. It really makes one think.....or, it should make one think.....

Is it just me or does technology seem incredibly powerful? So, U2's album was downloaded for free onto every single person's iTunes account. I didn't believe it so I looked on my phone this morning and there it was, under artists. A brilliant marketing scheme and wow....I feel like iTunes just gave up a big secret....their reach.....

Is it just me or does it seem like the NFL really needs to get their acts together and come up with a simple rule on domestic violence and child abuse? Hell, let's just throw in any type of crime. It seems like some players are banned for life and some are given a bye. Really, do they want to encourage and enable crime? All of the cases seem to be coming out of the wood works now and boy, there are many, many, many.

Is it me or did Aaron Hernandez actually use the words, “I felt helpless in the face of the occupation of my house by the police,” he said in a newly released court document. “I was also very concerned about what would happen to my fiance and our baby if I refused to answer their questions. I did not feel free to leave at any time during the search.” REALLY? REALLY? Dude, you killed HOW many people?????

Is it me or is high fructose corn syrup in absolutely everything? The obesity epidemic started with the invention of this fake, cheap sugar substitute. From Ben & Jerry's ice cream to Progresso bread crumbs to Heinz ketchup to Thomas English muffins to Capri Sun. I know it is cheaper to make and you therefore make more money but can you just use real sugar?? Please??

Is it just me or do you want to hear about news of the world with a less biased viewpoint? Is that even possible? Is it possible to separate entertainment news from news of the world? There is scary stuff in the world right now. I would love a little more unity and a little more kindness.

Is it me or is the world moving a mile a minute? So much happening, so much to do, so much focus on our phones and being available/responsive 24/7. My daughters are growing up in a world of instant gratification. If they don't get a response immediately, something is wrong. Time to SLOW it down, people. Slow down, and enjoy one moment in every day.

The world is a crazy, crazy place with many things that just don't make sense. But....you make sense. You just need to listen to yourself, your gut and take a moment. Take a moment. The people who have done the 100 day positive challenge know - there is one thing to be grateful for each day. One thing to appreciate and one moment to cherish. Each day.


Thanks, Abby, for the beautiful dahlia!

Put on Shake it Off by Taylor Swift as it is Sosie's new favorite song and get cooking!

My sister in law, Kathleen, gave me this kid favorite meal years ago. It came from a magazine and we make it fairly often. I think it may have been an advertisement since they recommended all Ortega, Perdue and Sargento products. It is definitely a weeknight meal and super easy. Kids can even top the pizzas themselves.

Easy Mexican Pizzas
1 package burrito-size tortillas, divided.  (We use whole wheat)
2 cups Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese, divided
1T vegetable oil
1 lb, cooked chicken, shredded
1 package taco seasoning (I used frontera)
1 can refried beans (I like black bean refried beans)
Smooth taco sauce (I used salsa)
Toppings: chopped tomato, sliced green onion, ripe olives, mild chiles.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place 4 tortillas on greased baking sheets. Sprinkle each with 1/4 cup cheese. Place remaining tortillas on top of cheese.

Heat vegetable oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, cook for 4-5 minutes or until no longer pink.  Add 2T seasoning mix and 1T water; mix well. Remove from heat.

Combine refried beans, remaining seasoning mix and 1T water in a small bowl. (Sometimes I add the remaining mix, sometimes I don't)

Spread about 1/3 bean mixture on each tortilla. Layer with a drizzle of taco sauce, chicken mixture, remaining cheese and toppings.  Bake for 5-8 minutes or until cheese is melted.


Enjoy and have a happy day, everyone!

No comments: