Tuesday, September 9, 2014

It's time for some football, but where are the athletes??


Pictures of a day's harvest to me are art and an inspiration. Thank you, Aunt Mary Jane, for this one! I really missed having a real vegetable garden this year. In the past we have mostly grown peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli and herbs but my dream is to have a really big garden with a gate and to be able to live off it for the summer.

In exploring what I love to cook best, I have realized that I really like to work with vegetables. Mostly because they add color, unique flavor and, to me, help make the dish a piece of art. I think of myself as creative in many ways. However, I don't have the skills you attribute to a creative person, like painting, drawing or sculpting. So then what do I do?? I like to create settings, meals, homes, outfits. They get my juices flowing. From making care packages to meals for my family to decorating a space at home, or wearing a special outfit, those are the ways I create. I think for a long time I thought that made me less creative or artsy but I have come to realize that just because it isn't an obvious skill, doesn't make it less of one.

Changing topics.....I love the fall. I love apples and pumpkin pie and changing leaves and the crispness in the air and football. The oranges and reds and browns are also some of my favorite colors. Now, I don't have all of the above mentioned at the moment down here in Augusta like I did up north. I find I still enjoy the season though - just in a different way.

Let's talk football. I love football. I love watching all sports really. I grew up watching and listening to football in the background every Sunday. When we moved to Boston in 1998, I became an avid Boston sports fan (Red Sox and Patriots, the most watched). My favorite Sundays have been cooking a great meal to enjoy with family or friends and watching football. While I am a Patriots fan, I enjoy watching all the Sunday games. Admittedly the brain injury probability of these players makes it a bit harder to watch but I do really love getting into a good game, in any sport. One of my very favorite childhood memories was watching the Villanova-Georgetown basketball game in the late 80s. I watched it with my uncle and boy we remember and talk about it to this day. The athleticism, the endurance, the grit, ahhh....I get excited just thinking about it.

I have to say, I am becoming quite disenchanted with professional sports and especially football. Are there any decent, non drug using, non-violent athletes out there? From Lance Armstrong to any number of baseball players to Wes Welker to Aaron Hernandez to Ray Rice. I could go on and on listing any number of professional athletes who use performance enhancing drugs and/or are violent. I found the Ray Rice story disgusting, for a number of different reasons. Of course the Ravens had to fire him....he was caught. If the video hadn't been show all over the internet and television, he wouldn't be fired today and domestic violence would have been condoned again. The amount of money paid to athletes is high, and the effort that they had to take on to be in the place they are in now is high. To see them throw their lives and others away is such a waste. To see how jerseys become signs of disappointment instead of pride. To see what should be role models to kids become infamous criminals.

I wish we could start hearing the good stories of professional athletes. Those that have overcome struggles, those who face the demons and walked away or said, No. Those that are real leaders with a work ethic that shows they try their best each and every day. I don't want to sound naïve and I also know that there are many amazing positive athletes but when you feel like they are more the exception than the rule, something has to change, right? Where are the athletes??

Check out this sunset in the Boston area last night. Thank you, MBC, for taking it. Absolutely a breathtaking fall shot.


Put on Don't by Ed Sheeran and get cooking!

Last night I made Green Minsestrone Soup and a beet salad. The fresh flavors and herbs together made for a really yummy vegetarian meal. Kelley also made grilled cheese sandwiches which tied everything together nicely.

Crushed Beets with Lemon Vinaigrette - Bon Appetit, June 2014
2 lb mixed small or medium beets (such as Chioggia, red, and/or golden), scrubbed (mine were bigger so needed to cut them and it made them hard to smash)
6T olive oil, divided, plus more
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2T finely grated lemon zest
2T fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup (lightly packed) fresh mint leaves, plus more
2T torn fresh dill, plus more
1/2 cup labneh (Lebanese strained yogurt) or plain Greek yogurt
Flaky sea salt (such as Maldon)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Divide beets between 2 large sheets of foil.  Drizzle beets on each sheet with 1/2T oil; season with kosher salt and pepper and wrap up foil around beets.  Roast on a rimmed baking sheet until tender, 40-50 minutes.  Let cool slightly, then using a paper towel, rub skins from beets (they should slip off easily). Crush beets with the bottom of a small bowl (it's alright if they fall apart).


Meanwhile, whisk lemon zest, lemon juice, and 2T oil in a large bowl; set vinaigrette aside.


Heat 3T oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add beets, season with kosher salt and pepper, and cook until browned, about 4 minutes per side.  Transfer to bowl with vinaigrette, add 1/4 cup mint and 2T dill and toss to coat. Serve beets and dollops of labneh drizzled with more oil, topped with more herbs, and seasoned with pepper and sea salt.


Enjoy and have a happy day, everyone!!!

No comments: