Thursday, October 2, 2014

There was this one time, in band camp....


There was this one time....when I matched the cake! Thank you to Gwen and Bill Rosenblum for noticing and taking the shot. As you may have noticed, I never post pictures of people on this site, except for of me, and this picture was too great to pass by.

Today is a beautiful day here in Augusta. A feeling of fall but not a cloud in its blue sky and in the 80s. Kelley and I went for an awesome morning walk with Chappy (who today has at almost 9 months destroyed a shoe....my shoe...one of my favorite shoes....grr...but I digress on my happy thought) and then I went to my belly dancing class. See, the kids are away. The kids are away and for the first time in a year, we are alone in our house for 2.5 days. Last night we went to the Head Gates for a nice walk at sunset, had leftover Tuna Melts (see below) and watched Wednesday night television. It sounds mundane to some but felt like heaven for us. Tonight we are going out to dinner and maybe a movie...GASP. It is like we are dating again! Talking about things we don't get to talk about all the time and enjoying the silence when it gently comes upon us.

Where are the kids, you ask? They are on retreats for school. So far, I know Sosie has climbed an alpine pole and ziplined and Sage has taken a boat to Cumberland Island with her class. They are on amazing adventures in nature, without electronics and enjoying simple moments without realizing they are having them. I am so excited that they are having this time and hope that they are happy as well. Incredibly grateful that they can have this opportunity.

This morning, I was in my class and I had a simple moment. A moment where I was totally at peace with my body. I was kneeling on the ground doing this movement, listening to music and watching myself in the mirror to make sure I was doing this chest movement correctly. I felt really good. I felt really happy. I am a 44 year old woman and today I feel great about my body and myself. Let's face it, men and women, all of us, at times are not happy with their bodies. Our version of what should be or perfect is so skewed and when you something close to it, it doesn't look real, healthy, strong...or right. I have had two beautiful babies and my tummy isn't as flat as it was and my waist line isn't as small but I am me. I am my version of beautiful me. I cherish this moment.

There are things about Augusta that are just really cool and fun. I went to this great little restaurant for lunch yesterday and then we went to an art studio across the street. They have ceramic pumpkins that you can design, "carve", paint and then they will glaze and kiln. A very cool idea that I can't wait to try. Again, the sun was shining (sensing a trend?) and I really appreciated my town. Taking time, even when you are busy and swamped, to find something to do in your town is fantastic. My friend, Kathleen, went with her family into Boston and did the Freedom Trail. They live outside Boston and yet went into town to do this. How many of us have done the Freedom Trail who live/lived in Boston? Rediscovering your town can really change a mindset and mood.


Put on Lose Yourself by Eminem and get cooking!

So, I love me a good Tuna Melt. Yum. My mouth waters just thinking about them. I saw this recipe in Bon Appetit in September and just had to make it. It was a hit with the family, quick to make and awesome to clean up. The recipe says it makes 4 sandwiches and to put it on challah bread. We used a thin wheat bread and really liked it.

Tuna Melt, Bon Appetit, September 2014
Bread and Butter Pickles
1 English hothouse cucumber, sliced 1/8" thick
1 habanero chile or 2 jalapenos, halved (I did not add these)
1 sprig dill
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1/2 cup sugar (I used about 1/4 cup)
1T kosher salt (I used a little less)
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground turmeric

Tuna Salad and Assembly
2 5-oz cans water-packed solid white tuna, drained
1 celery stalk, chopped
1/4 English hothouse cucumber, peeled, chopped
1/4 small red onion, finely chopped
2T olive oil
1T fresh lemon juice
1T whole grain mustard
1T finely chopped fresh chives
1T finely chopped fresh dill
1/4 tsp celery salt
1/2 cup mayonnaise, divided
kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
hot sauce
8 slices challah, toasted
4 oz cheddar, sliced
Iceburg lettuce leaves (I used romaine)

Bread and Butter Pickles
Pack cucumber, habanero, and dill into a heatproof glass jar; set aside. Bring vinegar, sugar, kosher salt, red pepper flakes, celery salt, mustard seeds, coriander, turmeric and 1/2 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar and salt, then pour into a jar. Cover and let cool; chill. (I admit, I was in a hurry and basically just put everything in a bowl with the thinly cut cucumbers and they tasted great.) Pickles keep for 2 weeks in frig.


Tuna Salad and Assembly
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix tuna, celery, cucumber, onion, oil, lemon juice, mustard, chives, dill, celery salt, and 1/4 cup mayonnaise in a medium bowl; season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce.

Place bread on a baking sheet and spread remaining mayonnaise over 4 slices; top with tuna salad and cheese.  Bake until cheese is melted, about 4 minutes. Top melts with lettuce and pickles, and close.


Enjoy and have a really happy day, everyone!!

No comments: