Monday, December 1, 2014

Thanksgiving Weekend - How much did you eat??


Fall is almost at an end. There is still much beauty though in nature. Thanks, Jeff, for this awesome picture of my favorite flower.


It is a beautiful day today, 72 degrees. I feel like so much has happened since my last post - Thanksgiving, family came and left, took down fall and up went Christmas, and today is Sosie's 13th birthday! I can't believe I have a teenager. When I feel closer to my 20s than my 50s, it does set you back a bit. I am so proud of her and Sage though. I think about what this last year has brought and I am so amazed by their abilities to not only transition but thrive in a new place. We can be happy anywhere as a family and that is an important lesson.

Thanksgiving weekend was just lovely. A hike on Thanksgiving day. Making ornaments at Tire City Potters on Friday. A Fun Run on Saturday. Amazing meals at Finch & Fifth and Frog Hollow Tavern. Forts made in the bedroom, videos made on phones, football on the tele, and great pictures that highlight special moments.

Lest we forget, of course we had the obligatory issues with the grill not heating to actually COOK the turkey and then the lower oven inside not heating up to COOK the turkey, but we did manage to COOK the turkey and EAT it too. It was a delicious meal though a couple of hours off schedule.



It was our first time hosting Thanksgiving and we had a great time doing it. We loved the experience and had some very fine simple moments. Nothing is ever perfect but aren't the special moments in the imperfections sometimes?


My dad (it is so unmistakably his profile!) took a stone and wrote Jack + Karen on a wall during our walk. Not the first time he has done this in my lifetime and yet it gets me every time.

Family.

Family.

Family.

On Wednesday night, I made a really yummy meal. One I cannot WAIT to repeat. I hope it is just as good the second and third and fourth time. Of course we do need to investigate our grill issues!! Ina Garten has a new book out, Make it Ahead, so over the weekend, I made several dishes from it, including the bird on Thanksgiving. Anyway, the dinner on Wednesday night was Grilled New York Strip Steaks, Peas & Pancetta, Baked Farro & Butternut Squash and Winter Slaw. The flavors all melded together quite nicely and all the recipes came from the book. The best part is that you can make parts of this meal ahead and they really are simple recipes. I will post the rest in due time but will give the NY Strip recipe here.

So, put on Centuries by Fall Out Boy and get cooking.

Grilled New York Strip - Ina Garten, Make it Ahead
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tsp light brown sugar
2 tsp ground coffee (regular or decaf)
1 tsp (dried) granulated garlic
1 tsp chipotle chili powder
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
3 (1 1/2 inch thick New York strip steaks) (I used 5)
1 1/2 T good olive oil

In a small bowl, combine 2T salt, 1T black pepper, the brown sugar, coffee, garlic, chipotle powder, and red pepper flakes.


Pat the steaks dry with paper towels, place them in a baking dish, and rub them all over with the olive oil. Rub the steaks on both sides with the spice mix, using it all. Cover the dish and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to get into the meat. (I marinated for several hours.)


When ready to cook, heat the charcoal to cover half of the grill (she filled a chimney 3/4 full). (I used a gas grill). Pour a layer of hot coals on one side of the grill, leaving the other side empty.

Cook the steaks on the hot side of the grill for exactly 2 minutes on one side, turn them over, and cook for exactly 2 minutes on the other side. Move the steaks to the cool side of the grill, put the lid on, check to be sure the vents are open, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted sideways into the middle of the steak registers 115 and 120 degrees for medium rare and 120 and 125 degrees for medium. Transfer the steaks to a plate, cover the plate tightly with aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 15 minutes. Remove the foil after 15 minutes or the steaks will continue to cook. Slice the steaks, sprinkle with salt, and serve hot or warm.


Enjoy and have a very happy day, everyone!!

No comments: