Monday, January 5, 2015

Happy 2015!


Winter. It is officially winter. It may not look like this in Augusta (Thank you, Kathy!!) but for the first time in what seems like weeks, the sun is shining. The sun shining affects my mood so dramatically. I know I have said this before but there is something about the sun that heals the spirit. I went for a walk today and just stood and stared for 30 seconds at the blue, blue sky and the green trees. The color fueled me up. A simple moment.

I miss the snow and the crackling of it under my boots. Recently, I saw a picture of dear old Colgate on Facebook after a snow storm.


And this picture from my high school friend, Jonathan, in Vermont.


They are such pretty images that instill thoughts of hot fires, chili, football on the TV and being hunkered inside a warm house.

All this is not to say that I mind being down south where the sun shines a little more and the temperatures are a little warmer but I do miss winter sometimes.

The holidays are over. That makes me a little sad. I spent so much time decorating and shopping and anticipating that there is a little let down when it is all over. One thing I learned here in Augusta - decorations go up the day after Thanksgiving and are down no later than January 3! It makes the end of the season such a drastic change for me.

Some of the simple moments for me this vacation. Picking Chappy up after his 6 day stay at the kennel. Christmas morning unwrapping of presents. Opening a very special present from my mother in law. Being with family in MA on Christmas night amidst laughter and delicious food. Hot Yoga with Kelley on December 27. Dinner at Abel Brown in Augusta with dear friends. Coming home from that dinner to kids (and friends) playing a board game, Monopoly. Listening to Serial with Kelley. Watching The Wire with Jim and Kathleen. Midnight striking with family to the ball drop in NYC, Acorn drop in Raleigh and fireworks displaying outside my cousins' windows. Seeing 3 movies in 2 days: Unbroken, Into the Wild and Annie. Hiking in the teeming rain with Kelley and Chappy. What are yours?

Now, put on Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson, featuring Bruno Mars and get cooking!

I love when people give me recipes they have tried that they liked. My sister in law told me about the Winter Minestrone from Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa Foolproof cookbook. I have cooked a lot from that book and like all the other recipes, this one was excellent. I did see a recipe from Smitten Kitchen for Chicken Noodle Soup that is definitely in my near future, especially since our household seems to be getting the flu, one by one. This recipe was not very difficult and I found that it made a ton, so good for leftovers or for freezing. What makes this one different than others is the butternut squash, the pancetta and the pesto. yum.....She says to make with garlic bruschetta which I did not make.

Winter Minestrone, Ina Garten
Good olive oil
4 oz pancetta, 1/2 inch diced (you can purchase this already diced)
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (I halved this)
2 cups (1/2-inch) diced carrots (3 carrots) (I used 4)
2 cups (1/2-inch) diced celery (3 stalks) (I used 4)
2 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) diced peeled butternut squash (I bought already diced)
1 1/2T minced garlic (4 cloves) (I halved this)
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves (I used a little more)
26 oz canned or boxed chopped tomatoes, such as Pomi
6-8 cups chicken stock
1 bay leaf (I used 3 fresh)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups cooked small pasta, such as tubetti
8 to 10 oz fresh baby spinach leaves (I used a mix of baby spinach and kale and used slightly less)
1/2 cup good dry white wine
2T store-bought pesto
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Heat 2T olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy pot or Dutch oven. Add the pancetta and cook over medium-low heat for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Add the onions, carrots, celery, squash, garlic, and thyme and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.



Add the tomatoes, 6 cups of the chicken stock, the bay leaf, 1T salt (I omitted), and 1 1/2 tsp pepper to the pot. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
 



Discard the bay leaf. Add the beans and cooked pasta and heat through. The soup should be quite thick but if it is too thick, add more chicken stock.  Just before serving, reheat the soup, add the spinach, and toss with 2 big spoons (like tossing a salad). Cook just until the leaves are wilted. Stir in the white wine and pesto.


Depending on the saltiness of the chicken stock, add another teaspoon or two of salt to taste (Again, I omitted). Serve large shallow bowls of soup with a bruschetta on top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, drizzle with olive oil, and serve hot.


Enjoy and have a happy day, everyone!!

1 comment:

tamara takoudes said...

Nice! Post happy early anniversary! Send some sunshine this way but I'll keep the
Snow in VT :)