Sunday, August 3, 2014

Chasing Summer


Over 2200 miles traveled, mostly by car. 14 states. 8 dwellings. 4 islands, though sadly not our very favorite. Both sides of the family and many friends (though not all) seen. Lots of laughter, some tears, excellent games, great food, yummy drinks, hot yoga, and adventures abound. 5 weeks spent with my two daughters, my lovely puppy, and most of the time - my amazing and working husband.

I have never been able to do anything like this road trip since I have always been working. What a gift for me and the children. I was excited, a bit apprehensive and anxious but I found the experience to be really, really great, on so many different levels. I won't lie and say that it was all wonderful but when is life always wonderful. The opportunity to be truly in the present and live day to day was a great one, for the whole family.


This summer's road trip has come to an end. Does this mean summer is over too? I know, I know. It is only August 3 but school starts on August 12, when we are usually on vacation! We are school shopping and going through the normal organizational routines we go through in late August, early September when the smell in the air is a bit crisper and fall-like, and football and apple picking are around the corner.

I yearn for bbqs and beach time and well....vacation? I thought I would feel a sense of relief at being home and getting settled back into our routine in this little world of ours.


I feel like I need to chase summer, chase more adventures and find the vacation that somehow eluded our family of four while we were on the road. We haven't taken a family vacation yet this summer and I feel a sense of longing for us to be together, enjoying those special moments since Kelley was not with us for the whole time and when he was, he was working. I know this all sounds selfish because many would say that the kids and I were just on a 5 week vacation, and we were....but we weren't too. I realized that as much as I loved being with the kids and the pup, I love the moments with us away together, all of us, without any responsibilities or obligations. This does not take away from the amazing times over the course of the last 5 weeks in any way - I feel so grateful to have had the opportunity. Just that it would be lovely to have this time too. To truly escape and enjoy the simplicities of life.


Time to put on Maps by Maroon 5 and get cooking!

Many of my friends are amazing and talented chefs. Many other friends are amazing and talented chefs but don't necessarily realize it. I don't consider myself an amazing or a talented chef. I find that cooking relaxes me in a way that other things can't and I love to combine foods so that they are beautiful and tasty. Everyone can make the recipes in this blog. These recipes are meant to be simple and fast so that you can enjoy your evening and your dinner!

When I was in PA, I made this dish from Smitten Kitchen - it was a huge hit. I didn't find the title completely accurate as you will see from my pictures but I am making it again this week with a mango cole slaw that she recommends. I made black rice (which she also recommends) with scallions, steamed carrots and a simple salad. Every once in awhile I crave cooked carrots.

Sticky Sesame Chicken Wings - Smitten Kitchen, adapted barely from Gourmet Magazine
4 servings

3 pounds wingettes or chicken wings
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 tsp coarse or kosher salt, plus more to taste
2T soy sauce
2T hoisin sauce
2 T mild honey - she has often halved this
1T Asian sesame oil
Pinch of cayenne or dash of Sriracha
1 1.2T sesame seeds, lightly toasted
1 scallion, finely chopped

Heat oven to 425 degrees.  Line a large shallow baking pan with foil and lightly oil it.

Stir wings together with garlic, soy, hoisin, honey, sesame oil and cayenne or Sriracha until coated.  Spread wings and any sauce that fell to the bottom of the bowl out on the prepared baking pan in one layer.  Roast, turning over once, until cooked through, about 35 minutes. Transfer wingettes to a large serving bowl and toss with sesame seeds and scallion.


 Enjoy and have a happy day, everyone!!!





No comments: