Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Inspiration


Thank you, John, for allowing me to use this incredible photograph from Seattle. Thank you also to Fai for her beautiful pictures of Wells Beach in Norfolk, England.

I am a huge fan of photography. I get so inspired just by seeing one...or ten! One might wonder why I am not then on Instagram! The picture above inspires so many different feelings - the textures and colors alone are amazing. The photographs below encourage me to think of places I have been, places that are similar yet different than here, places I could be...like right now.


Inspiration can come from so many different places in life. Over our road trip, we visited the homes of many family and friends. One constant theme that Kelley and I kept going back to was the art work in these wonderful homes. We went to our old home in Needham which is being lived in by our new friends and renters. Kelley and I fell in love with the way they decorated the house. We loved their art work the same as we did when we went to DC and saw our friend's lovely home. It has inspired us to shift things and update some of our pieces.


I saw this at my very favorite store, Pine Straw, in Wellesley, MA.  This saying is so timeless and came from such a beautiful person.

Since we have been back I have had a hard time finding a simple moment to appreciate. I came close at the dinner table when we were able to eat together at home for the first time in a long time. It was a late dinner but we were together. Sage just got back from soccer practice. Kelley got home from work. I had just finished dinner and Sosie was studying/relaxing in her room. We were able to catch up and share our musings of the day.

It is almost a year to the day that the notion of a potential move to Augusta was brought up to Kelley. I just realized this while driving Sosie home from the dentist today (2 teeth pulled).

I don't think I was conscious of why I felt so reflective since coming back to Augusta this past weekend. At first I thought it was the time of year, going back to school, etc. While that is part of it, I also realize I haven't been in Augusta during this time yet - feeling a little new again, even though here for 10 plus months. I think of how much has happened and changed over the course of the last year. It is a natural time to reflect upon my life, my family and my experiences. I am glad I recognize this....maybe it will allow me to enjoy a simple moment today.

Time to put on Rather Be by Clean Bandit and get cooking!

Last night I made the chicken from yesterday's post as well as the black rice. I also made a mango slaw which was really yummy. I was a little restricted because the store was out of Napa Cabbage (???) so I used bagged slaw. I also used peanuts instead of cashews but next time will definitely use cashews. They will hold up better with the dressing I think. It was really good and made for a yummy rice-salad combo for lunch today.

Mango Slaw with Cashews and Mint - Smitten Kitchen
2 Mangoes, pitted and julienned
1 to 1 1/4 pounds Napa Cabbage, halved and sliced very thinly
1 red pepper, julienned
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
6T fresh lime juice, about 2 limes
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2T oil of choice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes or to taste (or omit and whisk in a little chile paste to taste)
1/4 cup thinly sliced mint leaves
1/4 cup toasted cashews, coarsely chopped

Toss mangoes, cabbage, pepper and onion in a large bowl.  Whisk in lime juice, vinegar, oil, salt and red pepper in a smaller bowl and pour over slaw. You can either serve this immediately or leave the flavors to muddle for an hour in the fridge. Before serving, toss with mint leaves and sprinkle with cashews.


Enjoy and have a really happy day!!!

2 comments:

Miriam Devey said...

Hi Amy, So happy you had a good trip up north. It does not seem possible you have been in Augusta 10 months already. You will love the fall and winter. It sounds like your family has adjusted well and that is great.
Keep up with the blog and the Facebook, I love seeing your pictures.
Love & Hugs
The Devey's

Unknown said...

Hi Amy,
Thank you for using my photos! I read this and I feel the same way about photography. I hope someday I can make the time to make it more a part of my life. Great blog!
Faï