Tuesday, August 19, 2014

It is STILL SUMMER!

 

Rebecca Tarantino, Italy, August 2014

I loved Italy. I think often about my trip there, now 2 years ago?? It was so wonderful to experience another culture, enjoying food and sights and life in a country so much older than the U.S. So many differences and so many similarities too. I yearn to go back and look forward to the Tarantino trip each August so that I can see pictures of their adventures. That sky could not be more blue....

Life churns on. Here I sit on a sunny day in Augusta, GA. Lower humidity but hot today. It is Picture Day at school. Kids have tennis and cross country after school. Chappy is sleeping. I am working on my volunteer post for Prep and writing my blog. Life churns on. The house is a little messy but I am okay with this. OK - not really, but I am trying....It is a nice moment.

I have definitely been experiencing seasonal confusion. I keep referring to fall and anxiously await football and apple picking but....it is AUGUST 18 and 95 degrees out!!! I need to get a grip and start enjoying the moment instead of waiting for fall to come! We booked a long weekend in the mountains (again a fall moment) and we are all very excited for that. Exploring the Biltmore estate, ziplining and some hikes await, not to mention some yummy meals. Of course, in true Kelley fashion, he wants to do the night ziplining course, you know with bats and owls. Not sure about that one though! Our little cabin looks perfect for our family, and I think Chappy will enjoy some fresh mountain air too.

Last weekend our friends came over for dinner. It was Mexican night and we had make your own tacos. I really had a good time putting together all of the toppings and getting the house ready for our guests. It was a good moment.

Put on Outkast's Hey Ya and get cooking!

Mexican Night. It is so easy and looks so pretty when you put out all the toppings. Think tomatoes, corn, cilantro, black beans, sautéed spinach with garlic, avocado, guacamole, red salsa, tomatillo salsa, cheese of course, rice and steak and/or chicken. I had tortillas (wheat and white) and hard shells too. I made a salad myself. I served steak, cilantro rice and a black bean, corn and mango salad as well.


My friend sent me an awesome recipe but I had already marinated the meat - I made it up so feel free to look one up or amend what I write here. It did come out pretty well though.

Skirt Steak - 2 lbs
Juice of 1 lime
1 garlic clove, minced
salt and pepper
EVOO, 1/4 cup
Champagne vinegar, splash
Worcesterire sauce, splash
Cluster of cilantro, minced


Cilantro-Lime Rice - From Sara McQuarrie Fatoki
2 cups rice (I halved this recipe)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup lime juice
2 tsp lime zest
salt to taste

Cook rice according to package directions. Place cooked rice in large bowl. Toss with cilantro, lime juice and zest; season with salt. Serve immediately or at room temperature (serves 8)

Black Bean, Corn and Mango Salad
1 can of black beans
1 can of sweet corn
1 Mango, diced
1/4 red onion, diced
1 cluster, cilantro, diced
1 pepper, orange for color, diced
1 tomato or lots of cherry tomatoes, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
Juice of 1 lime
EVOO
Red wine vinegar, splash
Salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients and let sit for 30 minutes before serving. Have fun with this. You can change up any of the vegetables or add avocado.


Enjoy and have a very happy day, everyone!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am SOOOOO using this recipe! XO RT