Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Election Day Hangover


It is the season of gourds and pumpkins and squashes of all kinds, oh my! Thanks, Jon Olszewski, for these awesome shots.

Election Day was yesterday. It was my first time voting in GA and I was excited. I am trying to determine the voter turnout across the country. Voting is a right and a privilege and I firmly believe that everyone should get out there and vote, no matter their beliefs. I think about our election process here versus election processes in other countries. We are so fortunate to have a peaceful process here. It is a time when citizens of our country can communicate and make themselves heard in a non-vocal but powerful way.

It can be a day of differences. The political ads were so terrible, maybe the worst I have seen, and so, so divisive. The almost hatred for other people is seething, along with the posturing and the arrogance. It all makes me want to throw up really. As I read on Facebook earlier, it is time to get along. We are one country. We need to work together. We need to celebrate our differences but recognize and love the similarities. We are all equal. We are all equal.

Look around our incredible country. Look at all the different landscapes that our one country has. Look at all the people that inhabit our country. Let's work together to make this a better place to live. Something has to change, and it doesn't just start with politicians.


Jeff Boodman is a fantastic photographer. He has a Facebook page you should check out too (Jeffrey Boodman Photography). Thanks, Jeff, for letting me post these two beauties.

Right now, I am sitting here typing this post and all I want to do is rip into my kids' Halloween candy (for the second time today). Snickers, Twix, Reese's, nom nom nom......

Put on Suzanne Vega's Tom's Diner and let's get cooking!

I have been talking about Dinner, the Playbook. I tried her recipe for Homemade Marinara. I liked it and am posting it here now but I am adding a couple of things. Many, many years ago, my aunt gave me a recipe that was so simple I made it all the time. It was one 28 oz can on whole tomatoes, crushed by hand in with sautéed onions, a little garlic and then a tad butter at the end. I really loved it and don't know why it isn't a staple now. You can try that one if you want too....But as I am always on the hunt for a good marinara, here it goes.

Homemade Marinara, Dinner, The Playbook
1/4 cup olive oil
3 heaping T finely chopped onion (I would put a little more)
1 garlic clove, minced (2 cloves if you are a garlic lover) (I would definitely add the 2...)
salt and pepper to taste
1T dried oregano
(I might add fresh oregano and fresh basil)
quick shake of red pepper flakes
2 tsp sugar
2T tomato paste
1 28-oz can tomato puree

Set a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and onions and cook until the onions have softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, salt and pepper, oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute, watching closely so the garlic doesn't burn. Add the sugar and smush in the tomato paste with 1/4 cup water until all the onions are coated in the tomato. Stir in the tomato puree and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes.


Enjoy and have a happy day, everyone!

No comments: