Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Goosebumps


Thank you, Gayle, for this beautiful and inspiring picture.

This fall has been the best in my memory. Crisp mornings, warm afternoons and brisk evenings. Blue skies every single day. We have had very little rain over the past 4 weeks and I know we need rain but sunshine does wonders for the psyche. We have had some intense sunrises and sunsets as well. I love seeing the sky turn all sorts of colors as the sun goes down. I only wish I had my camera. I guess I have to just experience the moment instead of spend time documenting it.

Over the past week I have seen two performances at the kids' school. There was a talent show called Schools for Schools with the proceeds going to charity supporting education in Africa and then the 5th and 6th grade chorus performed for the Lower School this morning. During the talent show, they previewed a play that is being performed this weekend at the Upper School. The middle school (with Sosie playing a part) is putting on their version of Little Mermaid in just a few weeks.

For our kids to go to a school where music and theatre plays as much a role as sports is tremendous. I am so incredibly grateful for this experience with the kids. To see children of all ages (especially my peanut today) take the stage shows courage and bravery, not to mention creativity and talent. I absolutely loved watching every performance at the Talent Show and the chorus today was actually amazing. I couldn't believe how well the harmony came through and the pitch was perfect. I had goosebumps. They had skits between each song and it all went on without a hitch. It was clear they not only practiced and learned their parts but they cared about how they sounded. They wanted to do a good job, and they did.

It all brings back many fond memories. The nervousness right before you begin, the butterflies, but then the calm as you start singing or acting. The comfort that settles in your bones. The ability to escape as you talk. Everyone can learn from being on stage. Public speaking, learning about yourself, control of your body. These are important lessons for everyone really. Facing the fears....

This week, I challenge everyone to go to the store with your kids and pick one vegetable or fruit that you haven't eaten before. I used to do this as a young adult. It was actually a lot of fun. It gets you to face a little fear anyway and who knows, you may love it! We always tell the kids you need to try something 10 times before you can say you don't like something.  I think we have the Berg Family to think for that.

Time to put on L.A.Love by Fergie and get cooking.
 

I have always loved Italian Wedding Soup. Many years ago, our friends were visiting from Pennsylvania and they made it for us using this recipe. I have had many versions since but I always seem to come back to this one. This was a huge hit with the entire family. With some nice bread to soak up the broth, this is a delicious dinner.

Italian Wedding Soup by Barefoot Contessa (Back to Basics Cookbook)
For the meatballs
3/4 lb ground chicken
1/2 lb chicken sausage, casings removed
2/3 cup white bread crumbs
2 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
3T chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
3T milk
1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the soup
2T good olive oil
1 cup minced yellow onion (I used slightly less)
1 cup 1/4-inch diced carrots (3 carrots) (I could add more)
3/4 cup 1/4-inch diced celery (2 stalks) (I could add more)
10 cups homemade chicken stock (Store-bought is JUST FINE)
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup small pasta such as tubetini or stars
1/4 cup minced fresh dill
12 oz baby spinach, washed and trimmed (I used 10 oz)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

For the meatballs, place the ground chicken, sausage, bread crumbs, garlic, parsley, Pecorino, Parmesan, milk, egg, 1 tsp salt (I omitted) and 1/2 tsp pepper in a bowl and combine gently with a fork (I used my hands). With a tsp, drop 1- to 1 1/4 inch meatballs onto a sheet plan lined with parchment paper. You should have about 40 meatballs. They don't have to be perfectly round. Bake for 30 minutes, until cooked through and lightly browned. Set aside.


In the meantime, for the soup, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat in a large, heavy-bottomed soup pot. Add the onion, carrots, and celery and sauté until softened, 5 to 6 minutes.


Add the chicken stock and wine and bring to a boil. Add the pasta to the simmering broth and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until the pasta is tender. Add the fresh dill and then the meatballs to the soup and simmer for 1 minute.  Taste for salt and pepper. Stir in the fresh spinach and cook for 1 minute, until the spinach has just wilted. Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle each serving with extra grated Parmesan cheese. (I used a shaved triple cheese blend.)


Enjoy and have a happy day, everyone!!

No comments: