Friday, July 20, 2018

Allison and the Outlaws! An ode to a true rock star!!




These are the outlaws. Not all of the outlaws are present in the picture but it is important to understand that we are represented in the Grossman Spicer family! (Smiling Broadly).

I am writing two blogs in five days. I guess I have to work through a fair amount this week. Today, I am writing because this popped up in my email yesterday.


My entire day was spent thinking about Allison and what an incredible person she is, and how she is a true inspiration to so many people. How she is an inspiration to me. I am not adequately able to express my emotions here but I will try. I frequently call Allison a rock star. Her fight has been long. Her fight has been beautiful. Her fight has been from deep within. She has had to face mortality at too young of an age (and all that entails) and she has never wavered in her strength and determination. In all the hard times and better times, Allison has never stopped reaching out. Allison has never stopped living. Allison has never stopped creating new experiences for her and her family. (By the way, Allison is the outlaw in blue in the picture above.)

I think about when my kids were very young and decided three days before the Breast Cancer walk that they wanted to participate. We gently told the girls that was not possible because one needed to train for such a walk but that we could go to the start and see Allison and her team. Allison's smile was bright. Her shoulders were broad and there was a glow emanating from her that was unmistakable. That day, Sosie and Sage's eyes were widened. Their hearts were huge and they felt grateful to just be there and see her. They understood the meaning at a very young age. It was a moment.


I think about when I personally was struggling and I was really struggling. It was a dark time for me. Allison took time to help me. She reached out to me. In all of the complexities and challenges of her own life, she took the time to reach out. What she said was so profound and so helpful on many levels. Those words and actions affect me to this day. It also helped me look beyond me. It made me look beyond what I was dealing with and in retrospect it was crucial to getting better.

I think about when I first met Allison and how we immediately clicked. We always wished we lived closer because there was a sense of a real closeness there. A potential of something and somehow knowing that potential has been incredibly comforting. Allison is the wife of Kelley's cousin, Charlie. They have two sons and have been through it yet they are together. They are real.

I think of the family events, happy and sad, where we have been together. I think of the moments where we chatted about families, kids and life in general. I think of the times we were just in the same room. I think of the laughter and tears.

I think about Allison, Shannon and I at the wedding where the outlaw picture was taken above. We had a great moment outside sitting at a table. It was a beautiful night and we had such a meaningful conversation among all of the fun and revelry.

I think about this world. This crazy, crazy world, seemingly crazier by the day, if that is even possible. I think about the nastiness of the world. But then I think about Allison. I think about how she is to others. How kind and thoughtful. How strong she is to face something no one should ever have to face especially at this stage in her life. I am angry and incredibly sad that she is in this position but then I think of her. She is an example of how one should live in the moment. How one should be kind, face challenges head on, hold on to the positives of life, connect with the people that are meaningful to you, think of others and live life fully. I love her. She is my hero. She is a rock star. She is.


In Allison's words, "Listen to Once A Day and I'm Alive and Shake it, Shake it Shake it! by Michael Franti and Spearhead. So good!" and let's get cooking. 

I am getting ready for vacation in the mountains at Lake Toxaway. I am making bbq sauce and ribs for the first night. I  have blogged about this in the past so thought I would repeat it. My friend and co-vacationer was able to recall the exact blog post and so it was easy to find!



Click Here to go to the recipe for Barefoot Contessa's BC Barbecue Sauce
The sauce goes on so many things and is so versatile. I can't wait for my second meal with it. 

Have a happy day, everyone!

No comments: