Monday, September 28, 2020

At the start, an end of a chapter. What is to come?

 


Simple Moments Each Day. 98 posts. 43,743 all time views. Started February 25, 2014. 

I have been reflecting on my time writing this blog. I re-read my first three posts recently. I started this blog in 2014 because friends had suggested I write about my temporary move to Augusta, GA and because I love to cook. When I moved to Georgia, I stopped working for the first time in my life. I had more time to devote to myself and to cooking for my family. When I think back on all that has changed in the last 6 years, one thing remains constant....my journey to find simple moments. 

I asked some friends recently how they defined a simple moment.....these were just a few responses. 

  • A cup of coffee before the noise of the day begins
  • Watching waves in an ocean ripple, a smile, a touch, sunrise, sunset, nature, music, family laughter
  • A moment in which you are still, just breathe, open your eyes and take it all in.
  • .....appreciate, acknowledge, and feel my feelings and emotions as fully as I'm able.
  • Each of us will find that we can describe many types of events/times that we define as “simple moments.” These are, most often, times when we find our body, mind and soul at peace and that “pause” (almost always an exceedingly brief pause) in the flow of life allows us to appreciate precisely what occurs in that moment of awareness. That moment of awareness is as important as the actual event because it is that awareness that allows us to see the wonders that surround us.
  • A simple moment is a feeling of peace, quiet: when you don’t worry about anything and you look around this amazing earth and appreciate it’s beauty.

I find myself still yearning for them - sometimes they come more easily than others. Saturday morning I was sitting on the couch, drinking coffee, listening to music and it hit me. My heart was full. The lyrics of the song were a little more clear, the present was fully with me, and I loved every second of that. In that moment, I was accessible. I was open. There was space. I could breathe it in. 

Now put on Free Fallin' by Tom Petty and let's get cooking. 

I have to admit something. I have not been feeling very inspired lately. I am in between seasons. I am yearning for summer freedom but starting to churn for fall comfort. The smells of fall are in the air and the autumn light is upon us. The smells of the blooming bushes this time of year always remind me of when we first moved to Augusta 7 years ago. 

Working full time and the anticipation of that moment, the emotions of one child leaving for college and the other literally growing up in front of my eyes, turning 50 and reflecting on how I see myself and how others see me, observing my parents age, or looking at all that needs to be done, I find that I am yearning for space. Yearning to get back to a place where I am inspired, excited and ready. I think it will take a little time and it will be a challenge. Of that I am sure. So, in lieu of a new recipe, I attach my first blog post. Not to go back. Not to look behind. But to feel the excitement of the moment, I first hit "Publish". I had thought I would end my blog at 100 posts.....but right now at this very moment, I think this is a good place to end. End at the beginning, the start of a new chapter. What is to come? 

Click here: First Blog Post - February, 2014

From the bottom of my heart, thank you for being on this journey with me. I have loved every moment. Have a happy day, everyone!

2 comments:

MDrahouzal said...

Thank you for sharing all this, Amy! ❤️

Jennifer Geoffroy said...

❤️