Saturday, February 19, 2022

Finding the heartbeat

 

Good morning! Chilly walk but warming up to the 60s. That time of year when it is brisk upon waking but if the wind is light, you can get a blanket and sit outside in the sun to read a book in the afternoons. Simple moments. 

The fresh air feels amazing. Exercise helps me handle excess nervous energy, channeling in the same manner that writing does in some ways. Different outlets but both...outlets. 

This week I have been thinking more about connection and community.  Imagine the earth as a whole. Then zoom in closer and closer until you see your home and the closest neighborhood around you. Think Google Earth. 

I have always craved the idea of the perfect neighborhood. Living in Needham was the closest I had to that ideal. I have always loved the idea of living close to my neighbors, walking distance to everything, part of it all but with a private space to escape to when I seek space. I have always loved the idea of a commune probably for the same reason. I am someone who needs to be around familiar places where I can feel grounded. For me that means having local restaurants that become part of my routine, working out in a place where I recognize people around me, or finding the perfect general store. 

I think about New York City. I have always loved the heartbeat and the energy I feel the minute my feet hit the sidewalk. 5 boroughs, 319 square miles. Millions of people. 

Break it down further. Take Manhattan. 13.4 miles by 2.3 miles filled with distinct neighborhoods seen in the map below. These communities have their own cultures and you can walk from one to the other within minutes to get a real feel of each. A true slice of the world.

Of course over time, these neighborhoods morph and change. Sadly, gentrification has blended some of the edges and has chipped away the uniqueness of culture but you can say that about many places around the world. Having said that, how amazing is it to stand in one city and experience the sensory overload that occurs here. I imagine standing on the street staring up at the sky. The city moving around me. New York City is one place where I feel alive. I am merely one of millions and yet one of the things I love most is that it is a place I can bring this massive place down to a manageable slice. Best of both worlds - large urban environment broken down into neighborhoods. Blocks that you can learn every inch of over time. Community. Connection. 

When I think of travelling, I think of being in a place long enough to establish a routine. Even during a brief stay you can establish some sort of routine. Opening the mind to learn the feel of a place. Getting to know the people who live there. Familiarizing myself with neighborhoods, local stores and restaurants. Finding the heartbeat.

Song to put on: Heat Waves by Glass Animals

Book to read: Columbine by Dave Cullen

Recipe to make: My friend, Mary Anne McCollum, made this recently and loved it. It is on my list for this week. I have been into bowls lately and this is a fantastic recipe for one. 


Choose kindness. Every gesture counts. Peace and love. 

No comments: