Thursday, September 7, 2023

to blog or not to blog, that is the question

 

A year ago yesterday, I wrote my final blog post. Well, what I thought was going to be my final blog post, lol. It was the 135th post of Simple Moments Each Day. I thought at the time that I should give this type of writing a break. My hiatus didn't last very long. I did embark on a new writing challenge during that time though called The Marrow. I dipped my toes into poetry and even a short story called, the club, that is near and dear to my heart. I still will post onto The Marrow from time to time. 

I missed writing when I stopped. It felt like a part of me went dormant. I find that in life I need an outlet. We all do, I think. I need a way to let out the feelings that are running around, wreaking havoc inside of me, so that they can sort themselves out. I started writing my blog again when I felt like I had something I was processing. Thank you for continuing to read my words as it means more than you will ever know. You have allowed me to have my voice. So, I continue to write.

At times I feel the need to break free. Do something spontaneous. Get out of my comfort zone. Shake things up. Something that makes me feel. As I reflect, sometimes this occurs when I experience loss or transition of some kind. At the moment, I can check both of those boxes. Additionally, the fall has always been a transition for me. End of summer. The light changes. The smell in the air even. 


On Friday, I opened a snapchat from my beautiful friend who moved not so recently, to Roanoke, Virginia. It was 12:30 p.m. She asked when I would be able to come visit her. Honestly, I didn't even think. I just wrote the words, how about tomorrow even though in my head I knew it was going to be that day. By 2:30 p.m. we were in the car. By 9 p.m. I was drinking a margarita in Roanoke. What a weekend it was - it hit the spot in every possible way. 

Movement. Exploring. Seeing people I love. Awakens the soul. 


And Saturday night, I met her. 

I stared at this mural and I felt like I was staring at myself. I still feel that way. There are times when you see something and it just hits you. I could sit and stare at this with music in my ears for hours. There is so much for me to see and digest here. Every person views art differently, based on their own experiences, background, culture, life. That's what makes art so important. So it's your turn - what do you see when you look at her? 

Monday. I am back at home sitting in my yard. It is a beautiful day. A simple moment. I see hummingbirds on flowers - a mom and babies. I also see butterflies flitting about. Movement. Nature. Perspective. I am but one person in this vast world. Life happens around me. Life comes from me, too. 


This morning I am driving. The sky is complex. The clouds and the light provide mesmerizing texture to the day. I am inspired because as I drive the sky keeps changing. I take it in as much as I can. Music playing. 

I knew it would look different even within the 15 minutes it took for me to get from home to the office.  I took a picture once I got there. Of course this photograph doesn't do what I experienced any justice but you get the idea, I hope. 



As I wrote a year ago, we adapt. We grow with change and transition. Experiences build upon each other and provide us with strength. They fill us up. They inspire and they provide hope. Even our most difficult moments are beautiful in their own right. They help us feel alive. Simple moments building upon each other so that we can be present, if only for a minute. 

Appreciate. Love. Learn. Apply.

Time to put on Mr. Brightside by The Killers and let's get cooking!



I make this dish every summer. It is a favorite of mine. Sometimes with a corn, feta, tomato, basil salad. Sometimes with a potato salad or corn bread. It is summer on a plate and it is perfection. 

Foolproof Ribs with Barbecue Sauce  - Barefoot Contessa

5 lbs Danish baby back robs (4 racks) or St. Louis ribs (2 racks)
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 recipe BC Barbecue Sauce

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil.

Place the ribs on the sheet pan meat side up and sprinkle them with 2 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper.  Pour the BBQ sauce generously on each rack and cover the ribs loosely with aluminum foil.  Back for 1 1/2 hours for baby backs and 1 3/4 hours for St. Louis ribs, until the meat is very tender when tested with a fork.  As soon as ribs are out of the oven, spread them generously with additional barbecue sauce.  Grill right away or refrigerate to grill later.

About 40 minutes before you want to serve, heat a charcoal grill with a layer of hot coals or heat a gas grill to medium-high heat.  After the charcoal turns gray, brush the cooking grate with oil to keep the ribs from sticking.  Place the ribs on the grill ribs-side down, put the lid on top (with both vents open) and grill for 5 minutes. Turn the ribs meat-side down and grill for another 4-5 minutes, until nicely browned.  Place on a cutting board, cover tightly with aluminum foil and allow the ribs to rest for 10 minutes.  Cut into the ribs and serve hot with extra barbecue sauce on the side.

BC Barbecue Sauce
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion (1 large onion)
1T minced garlic (3 cloves)
1 cup (10 oz) tomato paste
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup honey
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 cup hoisin sauce
2T chili powder
1T ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (I omitted)

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over low heat, add the onions, and cook for 10-15 minutes, until onions are translucent but not browned.  Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.  Add the tomato paste, vinegar, honey, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, chili powder, cumin and red pepper flakes.  Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.  Use the sauce immediately or pour into a container and refrigerate. 


Enjoy!

Choose kindness. Every gesture counts. Peace and love always. 

-Amy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love spontaneous trips. Yummy recipe!! ❤️🌻

Anonymous said...

Couldn’t love this any more! 😍

Anonymous said...

I love that you just up and WENT to see your friend! How wonderful. And I love that you can watch the hummingbirds like you do (we don’t have them here). They’re such extraordinary little creatures - and the fact that you saw a mama with her little ones? So sweet. There’s some beautiful and interesting symbolism and synchronicity there, I’m sure of it. ♥️ - CC

Anonymous said...

This was a beautiful post that I think many people who struggle with anxiety or going through grief would benefit from the thought process you’ve developed about taking in the little things, being in the moment, and also realizing we are all but singular people in the world with all different experiences and vibrant lives separate from what others know about or could even fathom to process the idea that there are 7 billion other life stories on this planet. Each one as beautiful and precious as the last