Sunday, January 23, 2022

What am I learning in these challenging times?

I am learning that being present is an ever constant challenge for me. Letting go of trying to experience is when the best experiences occur. 

I am learning that above all, I strive to be open-minded and the lack of it in others is something that frustrates me, maybe more than most things. How to handle this is a learning experience for me for sure. 

I am learning that the journey to find my most authentic self is life-long and always changing. I need to be in touch with my inner self in order to be in touch with the world. 

I am learning the distinction between pity, sympathy, empathy, and compassion. 

I am learning that I strive to live my life with empathy and compassion and that this world is starved for more compassionate leadership. 

I am learning that I absolutely love Harry Styles' mantra, "Treat People with Kindness". It is so simple but so profound. Something that every single person can touch, if they try. 

Background of Treat People with Kindness

I am learning that we need to respect and honor each human's experience and background. Appreciating and loving the uniqueness of others, it just simply frees us all. It certainly frees me. 

I am learning that reality affects dreams but it should not be used as a crutch not to have dreams. The key is the balance. I am still learning that balance.

I am learning that there are things in my life that I truly feel might be meant to be, meant to happen. As crazy as some are, in this life or the next, they are meant to be. Things I cannot vocalize but feel. I am not sure how they will be but what will be, may truly be. Honoring the possibilities without fixating. Accepting and appreciating without focusing too much on desires. I am still learning that balance. 

I am learning the power of music in my life.

I am learning the power of laughter.

I am learning that I crave a creative outlet where I can discover and exercise my voice. Balancing that with caring about an audience or wanting a reception is a challenge. Finding the outlet, also a challenge.

I am learning that I feel things deeply, too deeply. I care about others deeply, too deeply. Finding me in all the feelings, that is another challenge.  

I am learning that every single one of us, at every age, in the world has a responsibility to this world and it is time. It is simply, time. I am ready to do my part. Really do my part. 

I am learning that challenge is not only part of the struggle but very necessary. 

I am learning that dancing sometimes just makes everything better. 

Song to listen to: Canyon Moon, Harry Styles

Book to read: Dharma Bums, Jack Kerouac

Meal to make: Chicken Scallopine with Lemon, Capers and Tomatoes, Dave Becker, Sweet Basil

Kelley has been cooking a lot lately. For me, it is like sitting and reading a book, finding the space to lean into it and be comfortable in the moment. I miss finding that space. This week, Kelley dug into my menu index (which is in need of updating btw) and made this dish again. From one of our favorite restaurants in Needham, MA. Coincidentally, our family is embarking on a week of eating vegetarian. I will fill you in on that next time. 

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
All purpose flour for dusting
Kosher salt and pepper
3 TBSP olive oil
3 TBSP unsalted butter
8 cloves garlic, minced (I used much less, 3 but could've used 4-5)
1/2 cup white wine
juice of 2 lemons
2 cups chicken stock
2 plum tomatoes (I didn't have plum, so used 3 regular)
2 TBSP salted rinsed capers (I used a little more)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley for garnish. (I used a little at the end in the pan too)


Pound the chicken thin, by placing plastic wrap on top of breasts and either roll or use a mallet to 1/2 inch thickness. I bought thin sliced cutlets. I think I would have liked to have thinned out a bit more but it was just fine.

Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dust generously with flour. Shake off excess and set aside.

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add 1 TBSP of butter.  After it melts, brown the chicken in the skillet - 4-5 min on one side, 1-2 min on the other side until golden brown. Transfer to plate. It won't be fully cooked yet.

Add the garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the white wine and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer, scraping the browned bits at the bottom of the pan, until most of the liquid is gone. Add the chicken stock, tomatoes and capers.  Increase the heat to high, and bring liquid to a boil. Simmer for 6 minutes, or until liquid is decreased by one-third.

Stir in remaining TBSP of butter (or one, if you prefer) and return chicken to pan and simmer for 2 minutes, or until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through. Season with S&P. I added a little parsley to the pan at this point and then some more for garnish.

I served this with orzo in pesto sauce from Trader Joes (loved hitting the Charlotte Traders a couple of weekends ago!). I also sautéed spinach in olive oil and garlic, salt and pepper and then added a little parm on top.

I added a bit of parm to the rest of the dishes too. Enjoy and have a spectacular day!


Choose kindness. Every gesture counts. Love and peace. 

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Love your insight. I am not a cook but admire your efforts! Tim McGraw’s Humble and Kind is also a fabulous song…