Thursday, October 14, 2021

Dance Party

This summer my brother created a playlist and it inspired me to do the same. I have a playlist that I listen to when I walk (that my daughter named Mom Music - and no, that didn't make me feel outdated and old - not at all!!). I have various playlists for yoga as well, but I was in the mood to create something. Something... Anything. So, I asked the girls and Kelley to provide some of their favorites, and I included some (ok, many) of mine. The end result was our first family playlist. I will say it took awhile to get everyone on board. One daughter wanted to include country because she knew that I didn't love it and another needed a few reminders, but the finished product is a 4 hour mix that I listen to.....often. It makes me feel close to my family and it makes me happy. It has such a huge array of genres and I actually love them all. Sometimes I listen to it in its order and sometimes I shuffle - both give a different feel, depending on my mood. 

Last night, I poured myself a glass of wine and put on the mix (ok, playlist) on Sonos and started prepping tacos for dinner. Kelley was working in the office and Sage was at soccer. Kid Cudi came on and I just started dancing. All over the kitchen. And you know what, it felt great. It was a good moment. Found some space and it was good.

My parents are moving to Washington, D.C. to live closer to family. My mom will be in an independent apartment in a retirement community and my father will be in the same facility but with additional care. Mom will be able to see him every day and she will finally live near family. A first in many, many years. In cleaning out our childhood home in Pennsylvania where my mom has lived for over 50 years, my brother came across this treasure. 

My dad would make an Armenian dish every so often. It was complex and something he really enjoyed doing. I have memories of him working away in my grandparents' kitchen and in my aunt and uncle's house doing the same, usually around Thanksgiving. The fact that he would take great care to do something so meaningful for his family and culture that he was not related to by blood, always got caught in my heart. This cookbook cover is my maternal grandfather's writing (Boboo) - directing to my dad's recipe. The writing on the recipe page is my father's and at the very bottom is a special note - 11/26/1999, the day my dad "initiated" my brother and cousins into preparing this dish. 

Time to put on Love Tonight by Shouse and dance, I mean cook! Or both.....

Recently, I made a delicious recipe from Alexandra Cooks. Veggie-Loaded Stuffed Bell Peppers. Lately, I have been eating less meat and this dish was very filling. 

Click the link for the recipe!


Enjoy!


2 comments:

Mish said...

Here’s to dancing alone and long time-infused country road drives! ❤️ Can’t wait to have the honor and pleasure of visiting your parents with you some time in DC!

Mish said...

Should be tune-infused!