Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Opening Eyes, Feeling Restless, Taking it In...

 

I have walked by this statue so many times and have barely registered its existence, even though it is 5 minutes from my house and in a place I visit weekly. One day I was waiting for a friend outside of a restaurant and I looked at her. I registered her beauty and took her in for a minute. I found myself taking many pictures from different angles that do not do her justice. I like to think she appreciated the attention. 

Last weekend I flew to DC, a place where I lived for 6 years. Flying into National Airport is always special because you get a bird's eye view of the magic that is the landscape there. In the cab after I landed, we drove by the Lincoln Monument. Again, my eyes were opened. 

I find that I am moved to write when I travel. My senses are awakened and I am out of my normal routine. Things hit me differently. I find it is easier to be in the present when I am traveling. I take the extra moment to notice things the first time I see them. I find I appreciate the small things that I see almost more than the larger than life sights, or I enjoy the larger sights as part of a landscape, to see where it all fits. 

There is something fascinating about sitting in an airport. Observing family dynamics, people who live to work and people who work to live, celebrities trying to travel like the masses and the masses trying to travel like celebrities, people going home, people going someplace new, sadness hidden or on display and excitement from those little and big, old and young. People comfortable in their own skin and people still trying to figure themselves out. People struggling and people leaning into their struggles. Granted being in an airport does limit our view due to socioeconomic reasons but it is still an interesting lens to watch a slice of the world.

Time to listen to Up, Up and Away by Kid Cudi and let's get cooking. 

Creating beauty with food. Some people eat just to eat - get in the calories and sustain themselves. Some people eat because it is comforting - stress eating. Some people don't want to eat even though their bodies are screaming for attention. Some people truly enjoy food - the smell, beauty, atmosphere it creates and take care in its preparation. There are some people who do all of these things every week. I find I love color in my food. You can slice tomatoes and put them on a plate with mozzarella and basil. Sprinkle olive oil and balsamic vinegar and call it a day. OR - you can slice different color tomatoes, put them on a decorative dish, use different shapes of mozzarella, add blue cheese, add pesto, use a balsamic glaze, sprinkle toasted pine nuts - which plate are you more interested in eating. When I spend the extra 5 minutes, it just makes me a little bit happier. Just something to think about. 

Have an incredible day. 

No comments: