Tuesday, October 31, 2023

a simple moment

 

Thank you as always, Gayle Oshrin, for the beautiful photograph. 

I have always been affected by light. Shadows, brightness, depth, angles, how it hits a face or the clouds. I can be genuinely moved by it. It has been awhile since I have experienced a simple moment. 

This morning I did. 

What is a simple moment, you ask?  

A simple moment is a brief moment in time where you are completely present. Your mind isn't focused on anything but what is happening around you. You are not the past. You are not the future. You are not in your head and you aren't in your heart either. You are just present. You are centered at your spine and are able to breathe in clarity. This moment can last 5 seconds or 5 minutes. Honestly I think it also includes gratitude. I haven't thought about that until now but in all of the simple moments I can recall, there is a feeling of gratitude. An awareness and appreciation of what I am experiencing. 

I am driving to work. 

I can see almost the entire horizon and there are puffs of clouds above me. Little cotton balls all over the sky, layered. The bottom layer has streaks of gold. I don't even know if I am able to fully describe the texture of what I saw. Its beauty. The streaks are above me but in front of me is the lightest shade of blue, the day starting. In the distance I see varying shades of pink and orange. The sun is not visible to me but of course is visible to others somewhere other than this place I am. Behind me the sky is still darker, the audience of the show in the sky, quietly waiting its turn to go on stage. The whole sky is textured, complex, varying shades of color, light, shadows, depth. It provides perspective. The music I am listening to just adds background to the moment. Harmony to the sky's melody. Sounds cheesy but true nonetheless. 

I am still marveling at my experience when I enter the elevator. I am almost floating into work. I look at the person next to me and I say, "did you happen to see the sky today??" He looked at me, a little confused. Then he said no. No. "I guess I didn't look up this morning." 

No? I silently screamed. Internally. But it was right there! It was so beautiful. The whole sky! 

Needless to say, I was a little deflated but then, then I smiled inside my belly. It didn't matter if anyone witnessed it because I did. It was my moment. My simple moment. 

Put on You're the One I Want by Chris and Thomas and let's get cooking. 

Click here for Apple Music

Click here for Spotify

This was a staple in our house for years. Easy, yummy, perfect for fall and it's dinner tonight. Enjoy!

Weeknight Bolognese - Barefoot Contessa, How Easy Is That
2T good olive oil, plus extra to cook the pasta
1 lb lean ground sirloin
4 tsp minced garlic (4 cloves)
1T dried oregano
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/4 dry red wine, divided
1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes, preferably San Marzano
2T tomato paste
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
3/4 lb dried pasta, such as orecchiette or small shells
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, lightly packed
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving

Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large (12-inch) skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground sirloin and cook, crumbling the meat with a wooden spoon, for 5-7 minutes, until the meat has lost its pink color and has started to brown.  Stir in the garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 more minute.  Pour 1 cup of the wine into the skillet and stir to scrape up any browned bits.  Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, 1 tablespoon salt (I omit), and 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper, stirring until combined. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil, add a tablespoon of salt, a splash of oil, and the pasta, and cook according to the direction on the box. While the pasta cooks, finish the sauce.  Add the nutmeg, basil, cream, and the remaining 1/4 cup wine to the sauce and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened. When the pasta is cooked, drain and pour into a large serving bowl. Add the sauce and 1/2 cup Parmesan and toss well.  Serve hot with Parmesan on the side.

Choose kindness. Every gesture counts. Peace and love always. 

-Amy

2 comments:

Christina C. said...

I love those glimmers. It feels so special to witness them!

Kathleen Brown said...

Love the fall sunsets and sunrises! And I’m making this bolognese tonight! 😘