Thursday, June 8, 2023

afterglow

 


It's been one week. One week since I returned home. One week since our trip, our adventure, ended. In many ways things are back to normal. Routine re-established. Re-entry complete. Laundry done and put away. Groceries stocked in the refrigerator. Work back into full swing.

But. 

It stays with me. 

The trip. 

That feeling. 

Indescribable in many ways. The experience of being somewhere new, of relaxing into the moment. Being in the present. Allowing myself the ability to simply observe and take in what I can of another culture, another way of living. To learn. To seek. To be. I didn't want to insert myself. I wanted to blend in and explore a new place through a different set of eyes.

Being away, traveling, isn't always easy and it isn't always fun. There were moments. Moments of complexity. Moments of feeling off, feeling uncomfortable. I looked in the mirror and I saw it all. I rediscovered parts of me that were and are hiding. I realized that there are parts of me that have been hidden away for so long that they need some coaxing to feel comfortable being brought out into the open again. I took for granted that these parts of me are always there, just dormant, waiting. In the end though, if I don't engage those parts, they become static and awkward. Stale. It is crucial to step outside in order to find me again.

Clarity. 

Stripping away routine. 

Stepping away in order to step into something.

Clarity.

I am but one. One of billions. We are all so different and beautiful. Filled with our own stories, histories, dreams, trauma, aspirations, insecurities, countries, loves. Things that make us laugh. Things that make us cry. Things that make us angry. Our experiences are unique but they are also shared. I need to celebrate and learn from people. Realizing that we are more alike than different changes how we treat each other.  As humans. As friends. 


The key for me is to return from these travels and keep a piece with me. In my pocket. In my heart. In my skin and in my mind. To keep what I have gained with me so that my world is more open. So that the things I have learned about myself, all those parts that were neglected feel comfortable to come into the light again. To face the sun and shine. 


Put on Cheap Clothes by Whitley and let's get cooking. Today's recipe is an oldie but goodie. I am posting it because I made the corn salad this past weekend and the ribs are in my very, very near future. Summer is here people!

Foolproof Ribs with BBQ Sauce; Corn & Feta Salad


Choose kindness. Every gesture counts. Choose adventure too. Oh the places you will go. Peace and love always. 

5 comments:

Mel said...

Man... This made me miss traveling. Escaping from reality, just being able to relax without any worries. Makes you realize that we need to enjoy more moments like these, and not take it for granted.

Thank you for sharing! :) <3

Anonymous said...

Always love reading through your eyes!

Anonymous said...

I’m ready to travel. Loved reading your take away from your excellent trip. ❤️

Anonymous said...

I totally agree about that feeling you get when you return after traveling—afterglow is the perfect word to describe it! Love the photos you chose to go with the piece as well!

Anonymous said...

"Realizing that we are more alike than different changes how we treat each other. As humans. As friends" - Great thought. Thank you.