Friday, June 16, 2023

collapse

 


I am in Paris. I am standing across from Place des Vosges in the Marais around 5 p.m. We are running a little late and waiting for a taxi to pick us up. I am a bit tired from the day and lost in my mind. As I am zoned out, reflecting on the history of what is around me, out of the corner of my eye, I see a man stumble by me and cross the narrow street. He collapses outside the gate to the park. My attention refocuses when I see him on the ground. This isn't something I see every day. 

People go to him. I notice a woman from my left view actually run towards him as a group gathers to help. Some are on their phones calling the French version of 911. Others are attending directly to him, trying to rouse him. After a few minutes, he stands and seemingly shakes off what has just occurred. The group tentatively gives him space, very respectful of his space. He takes two more gingerly steps and collapses again. Once again, the group rushes to his side. Working together, they assist him without any hesitation. Off to the side I see a woman being comforted by her friends, clearly upset by what she has witnessed. I see others still on their phones trying to get through to emergency services. I see the woman who came running begin the process of CPR. He is then placed on his side and I see movement. I breathe a sigh of relief. 

The police, fire engine, ambulance arrive. Statements are made. He is taken away in the ambulance and the group disperses slowly. 

I am still standing across from Place des Vosges in the Marais around 5 p.m. 

My first thought was how struck I was, even moved, to see people go towards the man who collapsed. Why did that surprise me? If I am being completely honest, I was shocked that people went towards him instead of away from him. I am curious if that scene had unfolded in a city like New York or Los Angeles or Chicago, what would have happened? Am I so jaded to think that few would have rushed to him on impulse? The Bystander Effect. The case of Kitty Genovese coming to mind. The opposite happened here. There was no thinking. No wondering. No judgement. That afternoon in Paris, people saw someone in need and immediately ran to help. Literally. It truly restored a faith in humanity while at the same time, gave me pause to think that I was surprised by what I had witnessed.

The second thought I had was how quickly life can change for someone. My day. His day. Feet, even inches, apart. In a moment. In an instant. Things can change. This absolutely reset my perspective. We all experience different lives but we share the same pavement, the same air. Vital for me to remember that too. 

Time to put on Only a Hobo by Bob Dylan and let's get cooking. 

The other night I made Pesto Trapenese, This is a recipe from Smitten Kitchen. It is absolutely perfect in the summer with fresh pasta. It really hit the spot and I can't wait to make again. Find fresh, colorful ingredients and enjoy summer!


Choose kindness. Every gesture counts. Peace and love always. 

-Amy


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very insightful and a sign of our times in the US. ❤️

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is powerful. Place des Vosges is one of my favourite places in Paris; it’s so quintessentially… Paris. What a heart-wrenching scene you witnessed. Thank you for sharing the heart-warming side of it: people helping people. Strangers helping each other. As it should be… ♥️ -CC

Anonymous said...

💝thank you

Nicole Jarvis said...

💝 thank you for sharing